Nitro Fuel Storage Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvnnets

Here is some info I found that might be useful.

Nitro Fuel Storage Guide

The fuel that is used in Nitro Cars is very poisonous, if you read up a bit about the chemicals that go into it you'll learn that it has some nasty side effects, never store any chemicals in bottles that used to store drinks, AND KEEP OUT OF REACH FROM CHILDREN

Nitro Fuel Storage tips:

Keep it out of direct sunlight

By Leaving your fuel in direct sunlight the methanol will evaporate, messing with the mixture, which in turn will mess up your Nitro RC Engine Tuning. While Nitro is not affected by sunlight directly, heat does play a major part in fuel degregasion.

Keep the Fuel Off the Ground

Concrete has been know to remove the nitromethane from the fuel, I'm not so sure about this myself and it seems a bit far fetched, but I normally keep my Nitro Fuel in a cool dark place, just to be safe.

Keep the Container Air Tight

Air will react with the fuel over time, it also carries a lot of moisture which the fuel will absorb, keeping the fuel air tight will ensure that it lasts longer and give better results out on the track.

Don't Use Old Fuel

After a while the fuel will start to separate into it's individual components. If your fuel changes color, normally from a pink to an orange it's time to throw it out. Also watch for condensation inside the neck of the bottle, this is another sign that the fuel has been sitting for too long. Caster Oil is often used as lubricant in the fuel, this goes rancid after a while.

Fuel with a high nitro content will have a shorter shelf life
Not a major concern, but something to keep in mind

Watch for Water Droplets in Fuel Bottle

Nitro fuel has the tenancy to absorb water, this coupled with the dehydrating properties of fuel means you need to use after run oil to keep the engine lubricated, the water will oxidize and create rust inside your engine.

How long does RC Nitro Fuel Last

An unopened container can last for a few years, an opened container will last for a few months. Proper care and storage of your nitro fuel will ensure that the fuel lasts longer and your nitro RC Car will get the correct lubrication and running conditions. Once you open the fuel container the shelf life will drop, make sure you seal the container at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info there Kevin..+1

Latest posts

Members online

Back