Newbie Engine upgrade question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeshma_Daeva

Please forgive my newbieness but I was looking at the Ofna site to see what was avalible for engine upgrades. My question is.... How do you kow what engine will fit and or make a good replacement? I am seeing all different sizes such as .26, .27, .28 and .32. Right now I am running the stock engine that came in my Savage X it runs great but I want to start saving some cash now for when I do need to buy a new engine. So any info you have would be great. Thanks

as long as the engine has a starter shaft and the crank is a standard crank. the crank needs to be the same as the stock engine so that the clutch and cb will fit the same. as long as the engine is a rear exhaust with a slide carb so the throttle arm will fit. most .21-.30 engines are the same mounting specs as the stock savage engines.the carbs can be moved 180degrees, so if you get an engine that has the carb facing the right of the engine it can be loosened up and turned to the left so the linkage will fit.some people have said they had to cut the rear shock tower to get some engines to fit. i haven't ever had to do that , all the engines iv tried have fit just like the stock 4.6 engine did.if you are looking at the ofna picco .27 , i had one and my 4.6 was more powerfull than it was , i had a lot of bad luck with the one i had and from my experiance i wouldent recommend that one. [I'm sure others have had that engine and had no problems with it] mine was just not a good application for where i run my truck at.

I would lean more towards a STS or a O.S. insted of the ofna. Just make sure which ever motor you end up getting stay away from the 3 needle carbs. Then are a pain in the a** to tune right.

I would advise a os max 30 vg because os max makes excellent quality or I would advise a HPI K 4.6 because I have that one myself and I think it`s a great engine but I`ll replace it by an os 30vg as soon as I`m done building my 3-speed.

Latest posts

Members online

Back