Newbie charger question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsavbob

hi all I'm new here,
Ive just brought a hpi plasma hump pack and need a charger for it.
It's the 6v one for the servos, I have the charger that hpi supplied for the rota start battery but it's a 7.2v one didn't know if that one would work?
If not could someone recommend one please a fairly cheap one!
Thanks in advance Aaron

I use my Hobbico multi charger for all my small batteries, too bad it is out of production now :(

Can you still buy "leads" for it? That looks like the connectors that are on my Venom Pro Charger. <-- That might not be the right name as I'm not in front if it at the moment.

But what I'm asking is can you still buy plugs for lack of a better word to plug in the red and black connections on that charger? Still don't think I'm asking this in a way that is easily understandable.

yes you can buy Banana plugs at most electronics stores, Radio Shack, computer stores, mind you have to solder these connectors...

as long as you can charge the battery at 1.6 amps or a bit below you should be ok...
I prefer the trickle type charging as it stresses the little cells alot less, most of mine are charged at 500 mah or so over 12 hours and dumped down after I am done using them....
they will last a long time if you apply a bit of care during periods of not being used.....

I'll have to look at my charger when I get home, but I know I can charge at at least 1 or 2 amps. I'm not sure if it will increment any smaller.

Yes, you can get charge leads, @Derekpike, my Dynamite uses the same style. I have a TRX (Traxxas), Dean's, Tamiya, RX style and alligator clip leads. I need to get a glow plug adapter...

My buddy's Hitec X4 uses the same thing as well.

They have glow plug banana plugs too @Rooky? That's awesome. That will help me not lose the charger every other time I'm looking for it. Plus trying to keep track of the futaba to rx adapter is challenging as well as it's so small.

I use that same LRP glow plug cable on my venom pro duo.

Not sure I would use that 7 in 1 cable though. That is way to much opportunity to short out. As when you are charging one lead, all the rest will be live as well.

I use that same LRP glow plug cable on my venom pro duo.

Not sure I would use that 7 in 1 cable though. That is way to much opportunity to short out. As when you are charging one lead, all the rest will be live as well.

That's a good point X. Didn't even cross my mind. I already ordered it, so I'll just have to be extra careful.

That's a good point X. Didn't even cross my mind. I already ordered it, so I'll just have to be extra careful.
I've used the 7 in one cable for years without any problems, most of the leads have plastic ends on them anyway. I love it never have to search for cords

I've used the 7 in one cable for years without any problems, most of the leads have plastic ends on them anyway. I love it never have to search for cords

As @Bauerdog stated the ends are covered. Picture of actual product below. And X I confirmed my charger will go to .5 amps.

Attachments

• 20160515_112603.jpg
    20160515_112603.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 6
Still a bit too much clutter for me. But that should be fairly safe. I keep my cables on a cable rack, so they never get in the way.

I understand that X, but as new as I am to the hobby I don't have dedicated space to work on them. Right now my charger is in my living room and I literally have a cardboard box holding parts and tools for the time being. So currently, the less things I have to keep track of the better. I think I'm going to use the workbench in my furnace room, but I have to run some power and lights down to that room. Baby steps lol.

I understand that X, but as new as I am to the hobby I don't have dedicated space to work on them. Right now my charger is in my living room and I literally have a cardboard box holding parts and tools for the time being. So currently, the less things I have to keep track of the better. I think I'm going to use the workbench in my furnace room, but I have to run some power and lights down to that room. Baby steps lol.

Can't say I have dedicated space either. My RC stuff has actually taken over my 1/1 car workbench. haha Every bit of de-cluttering helps though. When you get a bench set up, I'd recommend picking up some cheap wire rack.

These work well:

4408POM_sml.jpg

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/pomona-electronics/4408-POM/501-1113-ND/604309

I will be sure to grab one of those. I'm in a weird spot right now as I'm probably going to buy another house and move within a year. So not sure how much time, energy, and money I want to put into a space. The new house will have carved out space and have at least one of those cable management racks.

Latest posts

Back