New xl wont turn over

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldgetem

Hello I just bought a brand new xl 5.9. I have everything charged and have tested the glow plug which works fine. I try and start it with the Roto start but it doesn't seem to turn over. It doesn't sound the same way I hear in videos. No idea what the problem is it has never started before. Is it possible to have spun the one way bearing the wrong way with a drill and now it just slips ?

rotate the flywheel until the piston clears tdc and try again, it may also help to heat the :ercm: with a hairdryer or heatgun to loosen it up a bit.....

You could try backing the glow plug out 1/4 turn. I had same problem with my new 5.9. Once started, tighten plug back down.

I've tried that. I know it's not flooded I don't know what else to do here

well either the piston is stuck at TDC or something is broken.....
so first thing is remove the :ercm: and try to rotate the flywheel by hand, if it is stuck you may need pliers to gently turn the flywheel, if all that fails then you need to remove the roto unit and the backplate and find out if it is broken in some way....

Ok I will try that. I doubt something is broken since its new out of the box but I guess you never know

I'm using Roto start since I don't think my drill spins quick enough

So it sounds like you have two different problems to me. Whatever is holding the engine has broken something with the starting system. Like stated above I would remove the engine, remove the rotorstart assembly and see what's going on there.
While you have it off see if the engine will spin free.

I feel like a idiot. I wasnt thinking about the truck being new. London had the best advice in the whole thread. Sorry about that. Let us know how it turns out.

So I took the motor out and was able to free the fly wheel with some channel locks. Now I have the piston dropped from Tdc. But turning the flywheel all the way around is still pretty tough to do by hand. So whenever I try and turn it over with the Roto start the piston just gets stuck again and the the bearing just Spins it doesn't seem like it has enough power to pump that piston. I have backed off the glow plug to relieve some pressure but still can't get it to turn over. Any ideas on how to help

Members online

Back