New to it all

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big'G'

Hi people
New to nitro and RC. Found this forum, seems to be the place to be.
Had my Savage XL about a month and lovin it. Having issues with bogging down and stalling when I go to take off but if I give it full throttle off the mark it takes off. I think it might be the LSN but I've spent more time tinkering with it than bashing. Not yet done a gallon or any mods.

Try a new glow plug first off, most times the plug that comes with them doesnt seem to last too long.....

Put your LSN back to stock settings. After replacing the glow plug as Jam suggested, only tune in very small increments. The LSN only needs to be tuned around 1/16 turn at a time or you may miss the sweet spot.

BTW, welcome to the forums! Post up some pics and details of your RCs when you get a chance.

I'd also suggest following X's advice and starting from stock with a new plug for starters.

Welcome to HPISF @Big'G'

I've gotten in the habit of setting needles to to stock every time I change a glow plug. Soon as I get my Losi 3.4's installed maybe I won't have to. My XTM carb doesn't seem to be as fussy as my stock TRX on the Revo.

Welcome to the madness Big G. And you are exactly right. This is the place to be.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Had her out tonight worked on the LSN goIng a treat, popping wheelies however I'm finding the engine revving way beyond the idle speed with very little to no smoke. Stop the engine restart and it's ok for a while but then reverts back to over revving. Might give the header tank mod a go. I also lost drive to the rear wheels, but had a blast with the little bro and his brand new Thunder Tiger EB4 s3.

Over revving and no smoke is usually a sign of being lean. Did you readjust the HSN as well when you replaced the glow plug?

I would. Getting a new glow plug is almost like starting a new tune completely. You don't necessarily have to go back to stock settings for all needles, but readjustment is always necessary.

The glow plug has a platinum wire that reacts and stays glowing in the combustion chaber due to the reaction between the platinum and methanol.

Your LSN is too lean, These engines store fuel in the crank case, it's not fed directly in to the combustion chamber via the carb like on a 4 stroke. Therefor if you have it too rich you will eventually flood/drown the engine. Too lean and the reserve fuel in the crankcase will run out and you'll lean out causing the rpm increase.

EDIT: Just to check, when is the engine revving high? Right after a WOT run or just sitting at idle? If it's at idle and it creeps up then richen the LSN. If it's after a WOT run and stays high for a while then starts to drop, richen the HSN. Sounds weird but it's because you will have used the reserve fuel in the crankcase i mentioned earlier and it will take time for the LSN metering to catchup with the lean HSN.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back