New to HPI, Savage and Octane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clint

Hey all,

Been into R/C for many years. Bought my first HPI two days ago, waiting for it to arrive.

Bought a mint Savage Octane on eBay. Owner said it runs, drives, no flaws or scratches, has been broke in.

I see a lot of problems with these trucks, just trying to get a feel for validity of problems.

I am new to 2 strokes on such a small scale, am well aware of tuning and break in when it comes to the fore mentioned.

I purchased (2) new spark plugs, a Spektrum radio, new air filters, VP full synthetic 2 stroke oil, dynamite charger, infared temp gun, batteries etc.

Downloaded updated instruction manual, will reset to factory settings and assume it hasn't been run in yet.

Looking for advice on the savage octane. I appreciate any experience with the truck and ask that anyone with two stroke know how chime in. My idea is to run it as rich as possible at first, to save the piston/sleeve. Will lean out for performance...after 4-5 tanks. See people saying that 20 tanks is about what it takes for full break in.

Don't mind fouling countless plugs to get the engine right.

Anything I should keep in the way of spares?

Thanks again.

Clint, welcome to the forum.

I do not have an Octane, but have followed people's trials and tribulations as I thought an Octane would be a great next R/C. There are a few Octane owners on the forum, some with great experiences, some with poor experiences. I personally feel that there are quality problems with the build of the engine, and CDI issues.

Hopefully you have a good experience.

@Mark Walters thank you sir. I won't be able to go just one a day this weekend :). Bought me a temp gun, so I'll let it cool completely before each tank

Any recommendation on oil? Bought Vp race fuels synthetic 2 stroke. See a lot of people running good ole lawn boy for break in

@Mark Walters thank you sir. I won't be able to go just one a day this weekend :). Bought me a temp gun, so I'll let it cool completely before each tank

Any recommendation on oil? Bought Vp race fuels synthetic 2 stroke. See a lot of people running good ole lawn boy for break in
I also use synthetic 2-cycle oil

@clint Also you might want to get a better steering servo the stock one will burn out. Stay between no throttle and a 1/4 throttle the first 5 tanks. Keep at factory specs to you start see running improvement. Mine started pulling the frt wheels offor the ground around the 6th or 7th tank of gas

@clint Also you might want to get a better steering servo the stock one will burn out. Stay between no throttle and a 1/4 throttle the first 5 tanks. Keep at factory specs to you start see running improvement. Mine started pulling the frt wheels offor the ground around the 6th or 7th tank of gas
@Mark Walters which brand servo do you recommend?

Alright. Got the savage. Initial thoughts below.

Build- aside from the battery box being kind of a pain...wow. Solid, heavy, Walbro carb, pull start feels nice, truck has nice suspension

Easy of use- fired up on third pull. Tuning requires know how and patience. I have no idea how many tanks were ran through it when I got it...tires look brand new, body looks brand new, no scuffs on underside of truck or bumper.
I am having some bucking issues, probably because she still needs to be broke in. I'm running 25:1 VP race oil and 93 octane. Sound, sight and temp gun to adjust mixture. Smallest of small increments on high and low speed needle. The low speed needle was reset by previous owner, so I've had to adjust it as well.

I bought a bad to the bone spektrum radio to put in it, new 990 Walbro (upgraded) on the way, all in all...extremely pleased with it. I've run two tanks, endless tuning, starting to pull the wheels.

@Mark Walters putting the new radio in. The spektrum radio wouldn't take the servo plugs. I trimmed them...any advice or inside info on that?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 9
Will the new new radio bind the the truck
@Mark Walters i put a new receiver and all in it. The spektrum won't bind to the HPI receiver. I don't think. I went with the spektrum because I hear they are almost immune to interference from the CDI...and because it's cool. Ha. Tuning really is a pain. I think I'm going to adjust it back to factory again, and give it 10-15 tanks before I move either needle.

@Mark Walters i put a new receiver and all in it. The spektrum won't bind to the HPI receiver. I don't think. I went with the spektrum because I hear they are almost immune to interference from the CDI...and because it's cool. Ha. Tuning really is a pain. I think I'm going to adjust it back to factory again, and give it 10-15 tanks before I move either needle.
The outside temp will have an effect on the tuning. I'm getting ready to put mine back to spec. It won't take full throttle. I have to do the throttle slower.

The outside temp will have an effect on the tuning. I'm getting ready to put mine back to spec. It won't take full throttle. I have to do the throttle slower.
That's exactly what I'm dealing with. I think the "factory settings" are a bunch of crap. My needles are nowhere close to what HPI recommends on the max after tuning. The increments are smaller, the positions are completely up in the air. I bought the 990 Walbro carb for the Baja. Supposed to be a better carb and a direct fit. I will let you know if it helps at all.

That's exactly what I'm dealing with. I think the "factory settings" are a bunch of crap. My needles are nowhere close to what HPI recommends on the max after tuning. The increments are smaller, the positions are completely up in the air. I bought the 990 Walbro carb for the Baja. Supposed to be a better carb and a direct fit. I will let you know if it helps at all.
Cool thanks. I'm taking mine out tomorrow I'll let you know what I figure out

Latest posts

Members online

Back