New Savage owner very confused! :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virdi

Hi guys,

This is my very first HPI and I am coming from a Traxxas background.

This is the Savage I have just bought. It is one that has been converted from a Nitro to a FLUX model (using the offical HPI conversion kit I beleive)

aYey4gk.jpg

Please could somebody explain if this an XL or not?

...is there any downsides to having a converted one? as opposed to an original flux?

Thanks
Virdi

@virdi first welcome to HPISavageForum, glad you joined our little community.

To answer some of your questions. That looks to be a Savage X 4.6, not a Savage XL. As for downsides of a converted Savage X to Savage Flux compared to an original Savage Flux? There isn't any. The conversion kit that HPI once sold (HPI102534, now discontinued) was a nice conversion kit that included everything needed to make the proper and complete conversion.

If there was really any downside, it would be the extra expense of buying the Savage X 4.6, then the conversion kit, and then all the electronics needed as the kit didn't include them. Granted this would be cheaper than buying a Savage X 4.6 AND a Flux. All that said, being you bought this used this isn't going to be an issue for you.

Looking at the picture it looks like you have a pretty nice Savage. Enjoy!

Many thanks! Can you advise me on the following please?

RWJpgAw.jpg

Should I have small gap between the hex pin and the outer edge of the bearing? ....or should it be tight?

Maybe add a shim?

First off, welcome to the site virdi!

The drive cup pin will not be tight on the bearing. If it was you would cause damage to the bearing. It looks to me that your setup has been ghetto rigged. You are missing the hex wheel hub and the flanged nut. Also, no washers should be necessary for this.

This is approximately what it should look like:

upload_2015-10-13_9-23-25.png

Latest posts

Members online

Back