New Savage 4.6 woes.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water_Boy

Hello all, new to the forum and Nitro trucks. I've been in R/C for many years (not to deep into trucks/cars mainly planes) but nitro MT's are a whole new breed to me. I recentley purchased a new Savage 4.6 RTR (has the old AM radio not 2.4) from my LHS, had I known that they came with the 2.4 I would have just ordered it other then buying this one. Anyhow my issue is this I did the whole break in procedure ( motor ran like heck during this time too) On the 5th tank I managed to get it running somewhat. 6th tank it ran great was getting the final tuning down and she decided to crap out on me. I could not get it to fire for nothing. Tried again today and same thing acted like it was not getting fuel or too much. Finally got it to fire and it would only idle, when i would go to throttle up it would cut out. I just figured maybe it was too cold ,around 40. I just though maybe the glow olug was not hot enough its a MED not Hot. I brought it in to warm up and decided to take it back out went to use the roto start and it did'nt want to turn it over, when it finally did I noticed it had no compression, I pulled the plug and cranked it over. The piston did not move!!!!! Has anyone else heard of the roto start going out fairly quick? Is there a chance I got a lemon? How is HPI's customer service? I can't find my receipt and tomorrow is Sunday so can't call till monday. I'm a little nervous about opening it up would rather someone who knows what they are doing do it. Thanks for any advice or info that you pass along.

All i can say is don't be nervous of taking it apart, that's why this forum is here to help people with there savage.
My .2 is the one way bearing is gone, i tend not to use the roto start i threw mine out and put a pull start on, you will get up to 4x longer use of the one way with the pull start.

If you can't get her running go back to factory settings

HSN: Flush with groove
LSN: Flush with case
IDEL: 1 mm

and i usually go one full turn in on the HSN and go from there. All else fails go to the lhs and get him to mess with it for a day see what he comes up with. But 10 - 1 you will have it running by next week :)

cheers
Brandon

Thanks for the help Brandon, I'll have to order a new bearing then and try that. I doubt if I will have it running by next week...working out of town all next week, this weekend I have house stuff to work on plus a 3 month old boy to take care of..so time is at a premium right now. Good to know that there are people to help another person out, I will keep you informed of the goings on.
Harry

Thanks for the help Brandon, I'll have to order a new bearing then and try that. I doubt if I will have it running by next week...working out of town all next week, this weekend I have house stuff to work on plus a 3 month old boy to take care of..so time is at a premium right now. Good to know that there are people to help another person out, I will keep you informed of the goings on.
Harry

Oh never mind.
You might be waitin till spring to run the savy, we got about 2 inches of snow here not sure if it's staying or what.

I have a brand new never opened one way bearing from my old engine just sitting here. Private message me if you want it and we will work some thing out.

Brandon

Loosen your glow plug 1/2 turn on cold starts. This will allow some of the pressure to escape by the plug and make life a lot easier on your one way bearing or OWB.

Heat your engine head up with a heat gun or hair drier to around 120F whenever possible A warm nitro engine will start 10 times easier then a cold one will.

Do not flood the engine before starting. HPI says to prime the motor till all the air bubbles are out of the lines but that is not correct. You should only prime the engine till the fuel just barely makes it to the carb opening.

You can squirt the OWB that you have with some WD40 and that should clear a little of the slipping up till you can get it replaced. I would also recommend replacing the shaft the OWB sits on too. You will get the best results from the new bearing by letting it ride on a new shaft. Break-in is always rough on the engine and the OWB but they should last a lot longer after this one.

Loosen your glow plug 1/2 turn on cold starts. This will allow some of the pressure to escape by the plug and make life a lot easier on your one way bearing or OWB.

Heat your engine head up with a heat gun or hair drier to around 120F whenever possible A warm nitro engine will start 10 times easier then a cold one will.

just a pointer. Rotostart and flooded engine = death to your owb. I believe most of us convert to pullstarts for this and ease of start(one less thing to carry around) as for tuning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma2_CghxiUk

Great advice on both counts guys. +1 :jamout:

i smoked the OOB on my new F4.6 soon after i bought the truck because of these same issues.

by Judicator said:
just a pointer. Rotostart and flooded engine = death to your owb. I believe most of us convert to pullstarts for this and ease of start(one less thing to carry around) as for tuning.

Yep! +1

well looks like the guys got ya covered, but i wanted to welcome you to the forum!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back