New clutch with minimal modifications

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathrage

I'm looking into getting a new clutch setup for my savage xl, but i have a few limitations on what i can get. Right now i am living in the dorms with no access to a workshop to do modifications to anything that needs it, so i need to get one that is ready to go.

really like stuff i have been reading on this setup
http://www.rcplanet.com/Werks_Racing_Adjustable_4_Shoe_Off_Road_Clutch_p/wrx6501.htm
But i hear that people are having to make modifications to there mills to make it fit due to clearance issues, if someone has a solution to make this clutch setup work or has a recomendation for another one that i can use i am all ears.

I have heard good things about that setup. You may want to get the monster truck one instead. From the link, "This version is slightly modified from the regular 35mm 1/8th scale buggy clutch system with the rear dust protection flange removed from the flywheel. This allows the clutch to fit any monster truck engine .21 and above, including the ones that come stock in many Monster Truck kits."

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ble-4-Shoe-Monster-Truck-Clutch-System-Carbon

Wow! Nice! I'm glad you pointed this out it makes me really happy that i can have the clutch i want without having to worry about modifications to make it work. Any advice as to what clutch shoes to use. The particular rig i am putting this in is a basher so getting lower end is probobly the most important.....or is it, I'm still a little new when it comes to this hobby, I'm learning as i go.(and loving every second of it)

testing mine now

I have the Monster 4 shoe by Werks

I am testing now

using carbon shoes

werksclutchpics010.jpg

werksclutchpics002.jpg

werksclutchpics001.jpg

you will need a adjustable motor mount to slide engine back slightly

werksclutchpics012.jpg

Can't wait for the review Crash!

Would it be possible to shave the collet instead of buying the adjustable mount, or would the collet become too short to use if shaved?

I have the Monster 4 shoe by Werks

I am testing now

using carbon shoes

you will need a adjustable motor mount to slide engine back slightly

From the pics it looks like the clutch bell rubs up against the spur gear, (or is it just me). I want to use this clutch but i don't have any tools to make major modifications to anything made of metal (maby plastic, could use a file but would still be limited)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait for the review Crash!

Would it be possible to shave the collet instead of buying the adjustable mount, or would the collet become too short to use if shaved?

I tried just that, the problem is when you remove 1 of the 3mm of adjustment in the collet, you really get a late engagement. not great for track use then.

I reordered a new collet and I am testing at the flush setting which is the earliest engagement.

From the pics it looks like the clutch bell rubs up against the spur gear, (or is it just me).

i believe thats what it looked like before he used the adj mount caz i can see a basic mount on that mill.

any idea when you'll do this review Crash?

I just put it back in yesterday.

testing is in progress

here is a pic from today

P6120232.jpg

i had a werks as well but i gave up on it after so much altering. i just went back to the regular old three shoe. if it werks good for ya (funny i know) let us know how you like it.

thanks crash, please let me know how the setup works, being in the military really doesnt give you to much leaway when making "costly" mistakes when it comes to money.

this is video from last time I ran this clutch setup

this was with the modified collet, which gave it too late of an engagement

so your saying when you install this withougt modifying the collet it should run better? Also did you change to a different size clutch bell to make it work.

so your saying when you install this withougt modifying the collet it should run better? Also did you change to a different size clutch bell to make it work.

ya i would not modify collet

i am useing a HPI vented 18 tooth cb

If your running the 5.9 don't think about stepping up the clutch bell. It needs low gearing due to lack of power...

He also said NOT<<--- modify He did it for fitment and it comprmises the way the clutch worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
W'sup crash! That last pic looks like your using a vented CB? Can't wait till I read the review. I have seen these on websites and always wondered how good they work.

Oh just saw the other post. Disregard.

I also run the werks clutch setup. Like crash said you need the adjustable motor mount. I also would suggest using the ofna vented clutch bells (deeper) not by much, but makes a world of difference. Also I found that it works best if you install all your shims on the inside to give max clearance for the pressure plate.

W'sup crash! That last pic looks like your using a vented CB? Can't wait till I read the review. I have seen these on websites and always wondered how good they work.

Oh just saw the other post. Disregard.

I am running the k5.9 that came with my XL but i have slapped on a CEN 7.7 tuned pipe to give it a little more pep in its step, I think it may be able to handle a new clutch bell with a few more teeth. What do you think?

I also run the werks clutch setup. Like crash said you need the adjustable motor mount. I also would suggest using the ofna vented clutch bells (deeper) not by much, but makes a world of difference. Also I found that it works best if you install all your shims on the inside to give max clearance for the pressure plate.

thanks for the info.

link us to your cb

Members online

Back