New break-in method

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) I haven't heard that there is issues with breaking it in, just tuning. have u?
2) that is for nitro engine, will it work on the bigger 2-stroke engines? it says it's only for .12 and .21 nitros
3) but it is very cool! and interesting.

Well, the way I understand things is that it takes a great deal of time to break the engine in, and during breaking in, it does not run well.
This makes people start fiddling with the needles "prematurely", resulting in further issues. Once the engine is broken in, the car runs fine.
That's the impression I've got from Hemistorm and a few more cases I've read about.
Hence, if the engine was broken in out of the box, the Octanes reputation would be very different, I think.

I am sure it will work on larger engines as well, the idea as such does not relate to engine size, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure it would work, u just might have to build a bigger box for the engine to sit in. not hard if u have the tools.

read some octane threads one here. there are at least 2 or 3 in depth ones. they have problems with break-in, I don't know, but they have a hard time keeping them running after break-in( I think on was broken in by hpi, not sure). they also had problems with the header, and one guys had a pull start go out very early.

for me, I will not be getting on anytime soon. imo, get a roller and put something like the dynamite .31 in it( it's not the most perfect engine either, but it's better than the octane). I'm waiting for hpi to build a true 5th scale savage with a fuelie 24cc engine. the octane is way under powered compared to the 5.9( I know nitro and gas run different, but still, it could be improved).

Can't help but wondering why my post #3 was edited by a moderator, and what was changed!?

Posts can be edited for content, spelling, removing swear words, or a number of things, please do not take offense as we are just keeping the forum content clean and worded properly..... :)

Absolutely no offense taken, no reason to :) I was just curoius. I will simply assume it was due to misspelling then :)
It wasn't for spelling, though "curoius" in your above post is spelled wrong. ;) It was I that did the "edit" prior and that was to merge two back to back posts from you into a single one that's all. :D

Yes, from a manufacturing perspective I thought so.
The Octane could become quite devastating to HPI*s reputation. I for one got the Octane purely by expecting HPI to be a "safe" quality brand. Not a mistake I will make again.
HPI said 2 tanks to break in, when in practice it seems to require 10-20. I think not that many will have that perseverance, which is why we see so much on the negative side. We'll see how mine goes, it still has a bit to go before broken in.
Had HPI shipped the cars more or less all broken in, then I think the Octane would have had a very different reception on the market.

Yes, from a manufacturing perspective I thought so.
The Octane could become quite devastating to HPI*s reputation. I for one got the Octane purely by expecting HPI to be a "safe" quality brand. Not a mistake I will make again.
HPI said 2 tanks to break in, when in practice it seems to require 10-20. I think not that many will have that perseverance, which is why we see so much on the negative side. We'll see how mine goes, it still has a bit to go before broken in.
Had HPI shipped the cars more or less all broken in, then I think the Octane would have had a very different reception on the market.

I do not think HPI or any other import company has the manpower or time to breakin every engine they sell, while I agree it may take more than 2 tanks of fuel to properly breakin an engine most people who buy these do not follow directions completely and some do not even read the manual supplied until they have trouble and then most times it is too little too late.....

I would LOVE to have HPI ship me one to do my own evaluation but I am not paying 900+ dollars for the truck out of my own pocket.....

It is actually not a question of manpower or time, it is a question of profit and loss ;)

From my perspective, HPI isn't an importer, they're the manufacturer. Let be they may have an OEM-supplier for the engine, then it's a thing between those two to decide/negotiate who should do the break-in.

If it hadn't been for all the reported issues, would you then have considered paying 900+ bucks for it?

Basically, my only argument is that I think HPI would have benefitted strongly had the Octane been shipped with engines already broken in.

to answer your question if I would buy it not knowing about all the problems associated with the octane, I would have to answer a resounding NO I would NOT !!!! ;)

It is actually not a question of manpower or time, it is a question of profit and loss ;)

From my perspective, HPI isn't an importer, they're the manufacturer. Let be they may have an OEM-supplier for the engine, then it's a thing between those two to decide/negotiate who should do the break-in.

If it hadn't been for all the reported issues, would you then have considered paying 900+ bucks for it?

Basically, my only argument is that I think HPI would have benefitted strongly had the Octane been shipped with engines already broken in.
I wouldn't of either. I don't buy things right after they come out. I wait to see what there' made of. I didn't get a wii until xmas of 2012.

Latest posts

Members online

Back