need help x or xl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarab lou

hello everyone need help, currently own a savage 25 but looking to buy a new one cant decide on which one to buy the savage x or xl i do alot of bashing and know my son likes to run my savage 25 so any advise would be great thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
For the experience i would go with a savage x ss kit you have to build your self.
And if you want you can buy fastlane machine twin vertical plates that extend the savage by 40mm ::

http://fastlanemachine.net/proddetail.php?prod=FLM45100&cat=22

These t.v.p.s give you the ability to do a mid tanked mod.
relocating the fuel tank where the receiver box is and the throttle servo where the fuel tank is and the steering servo under the servo plate and the battery on the front shock tower.

from what i have heard the xl's 5.9 engine is a turd. long break in and short life. that in its self is the deal breaker for me i would grab a savage x and locktite it, break it in then beat the snot out of it.

ya from all i've heard the 5.9 isnt the engine it was hyped up to be... i went with the savage x rtr and believe me i wished i had got the ss kit and built it myself by the time your done you know your truck inside and out plus the kit comes with some upgrade parts" which the rtr's don't"which are a great additon to its performance so this would be my choice as well......

My XL Has been running real well, I think it's all about maintenance and tuning the 5.9 for every outing.

i would like the X on the XL the 4.6 is faster than the 5.9 and will last longer i have them both the 5.9 after the 4.6 and the 4.6 is still going well while the 5.9 is on my key medal :p

I have an xl ran through the 5.9 pretty quick and bashing it you will need some up grades my diffs fell apart every time out! I put the lrp .28 in no problems, put bp diffs front and rear. It does pratty good NOW! Stick with x ss.good luck!

Xl better radio , diffs , 3 speed trans , HD dog bones , extended axles
I never had problems with my 5.9 except running hot .
You'd definitely want new tires and rims , and a 086 pipe or cen pipe .
If you got the $ a better engine eventually

I was told the rtr engine is better than the ss engine and there's only 2 adjustment needles on the rtr and it's a upgrade of the ss 4.6,
Might wanna look into that as well .

the 5.9 is a nightmare to tune in my opinion.

but, the xl chassis is pretty beefy.

Yeah I agree , but I run with my buddy he's got a x rtr and he spends just as much tuning his as I do . And both are stock gearing and I blow his away . As well as bashing and clearance I like the XL. I got goliaths .
I'm just now getting into the motors and pipe end of it .
Also the steering servo sux in the XL if you upgrade to big tires.
Definately do the B045 steering bearing upgrade , $20 - $30
It helps tremendously.

to best honest the drive train is better on the rtr and so is the engine. the chrome dogbones break easier then the black ones on the rtr and the steel brakes that come on the x ss are junk.

I'd say build your own from scratch. You already have a savvy 25 so your pretty much familar with the savage anyways. Most parts needed can be found relatively cheap on ebay and you can upgrade other parts from what originaly would come stock, I.E. TVPs, motor, shocks, elecs., ect, ect, ect. That's just my opinion and the way I'd go if I was lookin to get/build another savage. That way it's built to your liking from the get go.

I'd say build your own from scratch. You already have a savvy 25 so your pretty much familar with the savage anyways. Most parts needed can be found relatively cheap on ebay and you can upgrade other parts from what originaly would come stock, I.E. TVPs, motor, shocks, elecs., ect, ect, ect. That's just my opinion and the way I'd go if I was lookin to get/build another savage. That way it's built to your liking from the get go.

Thats what i would do. Then you have just like you wont it .

x or xl

hello mery xmas ordered the xl should have it 12/22/10 going to locktight every thing and run it hard after breakin what would be good exhaust for the 5.9 i run a ths racing exhaust on my 25 now i have an axial 28 on it any advise will be great thank you lou

Get the cen pipe 7.7 remove the baffle or dynamite 086 or Ofna 086.
They're are all kinds of youtube videos on this. All of these pipes will keep your engine cooler. Also a better engine plate will help. I use
Hpi HD engine mount
GH 5.9 cooling head
And just upgraded to the cen 7.7 but haven't ran it yet
You can get all of these pipes under $30 on eBay
Goodluck
Also new era makes a center skid plate for the XL
But the rpm x plate will work too , it's cheaper priced but will not cover the rear dogbone all the way .
Goodluck

got my xl today

hello evryone got my xl today going to do the breakin this weakend any sugestion on fuel i run morgan sidewinder backyard basher 20% n 16% oil thats what my lhs carrys what do you guys run lou

25% trinity monster I'm sure you'll get a 100 answers . I think byrons is awesome but Hpi engines leak . Just my opinion . Thats what we run here .... Byrons or trinity 25 - 30 %

hello got the xl broken in and so far so good ran it hard on the first of the year at my cousins house now he wants one cant complane jumped it high ran it hard my cousin tried driving but my six year old son out drove him

whats up everyone need some help i would like to convert my xl to a flm setup with mid tank i cant find where to buy the flm parts any help thaks lou

Latest posts

Members online

Back