Need help with a tmaxx...And TRX 3.3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowking716

Let me start off by saying to everyone on this fourm thank you for all recent help with my savage it went from a paperweight to a beautifully running truck due to everyone's input and suggestions.

Now on to my next rehab and before I get bashed for it I understand this is a HPI fourm and if no one can help I understand. That being said on a trade I acquired my savage and a tmaxx(not sure of exact model) along with some spare parts and a TRX 3.3 engine my problem is the TRX 3.3 does not fit on this tmaxx chassis my first thought was I just had to drill new mounting holes for the engine am I correct or do I need new gears?(still new to nitros but learning quick as I can) I also have a vertex engine that was on my redcat shockwave is it possible to interchange engine parts? Any help as always would be much appreciated and I'll do my best to work with you.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Traxxas fourms are dead and that's why I'm posting here, better community imho

The 3.3 should fit on the chassis. It has the same footprint/engine mount as the 2.5 did.

Engine parts are typically not cross brand compatible. Perhaps some things like bearings, exhaust gasket, cinch bolt, things like that are a bit generic. Sometimes you get lucky and a backplate fits or carb fits.

Can you post a photo of your engine and the chassis your trying to put it in?

Should have left the motor to make it easier to see your fitment issue. Looks like a fairly standard 2.5 chassis to me.

I just looked at the two chassis by messing with the photo's on towerhobbies and they extended it in the rear between the engine and back to the mounting holes and in the front between the servo mount and trans.

Found a photo from another forum where a guy put the 3.3 on his 2.5 chassis, looks like it fits fine:
IMG_1880.JPG

if you make an account at photobucket it is alot easier to post the actual picture here instead of a link, and try to take clearer pics so we can see the needed details....
If I were you I would remove the :ercm: mount off the chassis and then mount the engine to that, then reinstall it so there are less issues, the mount is designed to move side to side for mesh adjustment ... and I think this is where your problem lies.....
I believe the transmission mounts to 4 holes in the chassis and really cant move unless someone has elongated the mounting holes for some reason....
Some careful examination on your part is going to be needed, but I am sure you can figure it out....
good Luck and please let us know if you get it fitted correctly

Can just add .jpg to the end of the image then wrap it with the [ img ] [ / img ] tags (minus spaces)
aD05PNh.jpg

Starting to wonder if there are more than one chassis decks out there for a 2.5 t-maxx. Like one with the black trans, one with the grey trans and one with the 3.3. I know there are at least two.

Chassis decks:
4922 - .15 standard chassis
4922x - .15 racing chassis
5122r - 2.5/2.5r chassis (grey or black transmission)
5122x - 3.3 extended chassis

Engine mounts:
4960 - pro15
4960x - pro15/2.5/2.5R/3.3 upgraded billet
5160 - 2.5/2.5r/3.3

All use the same fuel tank, older version had a primer in it, but otherwise the same.

All that said, I still thought the 3.3 would bolt into the 2.5/2.5R chassis without much fuss. I'll dig through my stuff later today as I think I have a 2.5R and 3.3 laying around and I can measure (well, try to measure) the distance from the mounting holes to the crank case edge on both ends to see for sure if the footprint is the same.

I lied. Best I can do is show a 3.3 next to a 18TM, which I have had in a 2.5 revo and jato:

2017-0127-TRX3.3_OS18TM_02.jpg

2017-0127-TRX3.3_OS18TM_01.jpg

Footprint is the same. Crankcase is the same length on both ends. Crankshaft is the same length as well. Well, the TM is a hair longer from mounting hole to the front of the crankshaft. The jato I had this in currently has a 2.5R in it, the 18TM was too much to deal with in that rig.

So, whatever your fighting, it's not your engine. Take the trans and engine mount off the truck. Put the mount on the engine and perhaps measure it to see if the chassis holes on the mount are the same distance to the engine mounting holes, just to rule out the mount being offset a bit. I can't tell looking at the photo's and it's been way too many years for me to remember from when I had a maxx.

Put the mount on the engine, then put them both back in the truck with the trans to see if maybe the trans is just shifted or the engine mount is shifted. THere is a bit of slop in the mounting holes for both. Not much, but your only looking for a mm or two.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back