Need Help Finding 5.9 Engine Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all - first time post here hoping I can find some help.

I'm dusting off my old XL 5.9 and have found that my one way starter shaft is stripped.

Part number 15234.

It's impossible to find on line, and Ebay and amazon searches have come up empty.

Is there a pull start conversion kit that I need to install instead?

I'd hate to have to buy a whole new engine for a 5 dollar part, and I have too much fun with it to get rid of it...

Any assistance with locating one of these would be greatly appreciated.

1586127297138.png

There’s a seller on eBay uk who just sells the bearing which you just remove from outer hex nut & fit replacement bearing back into! ??

There’s a seller on eBay uk who just sells the bearing which you just remove from outer hex nut & fit replacement bearing back into! ??

Thanks for the reply guinnessdublin, but I don't follow.

The part I need is a shaft with hex nut as one piece, which slides into the needle bearings within the engine. All of my bearings and bushings are good. The shaft that goes into the engines needle bearing has been worn down, so it doesn't engage with the needle bearings when trying to start and therefor the piston doesn't move during start up. That's why i need the new shaft.

Okay I understand now sorry, but are you 100% certain it’s the shaft that’s worn & not a knackered o/way bearing as unusual for that to wear down? ??

I'm sure. I have plenty of extra bearings and have tried the shaft in those with the same results. You can see where the shaft is worn and will no longer engage with the needle bearings:

Just need a new shaft.
1586187652420.png

1586187673881.png

1586187661803.png

I was considering making one ! Or perhaps a machine shop ? I located and bought the last new one in the world this week though !!! lol what a find for $9

A Hyper starter shaft may fit H21024. Not as worn as yours, you will struggle to find a new one.

Actually it’s jokersmoker that owns the one in the picture !! Lol ? and ifs worn. I actually found a brand new one this week at a hobby dealer in Canada . Probably the last one in the world

Last edited by a moderator:
Ingolf - Any chance you can share the Canadian hobby dealers info? I'm dead in the water until I get this replaced.

You bet . I got them today , even right parts . Start shaft and shaft holder . Modelland in Calgary . They have a web site . I looked and they seem to indicate that they have more . Let me know if you get what you need

Haha that’s funny about the last one in the world. I bought the last LRP one way bearing for my .30 last week. Nitro stuff is getting scarce! If you see something, buy it and hoard it!

Modelland has the xl starter shaft listed on their website, but it seems you can't purchase off their website? I emailed them and let them know I wanted to buy 2.

Also - i think I found some in a hobby shop in Dubai, on Amazon EU, but for some reason the shipping wouldn't work to get it here - I think it was an amazon issue and I couldn't get the name of the shop. Just an FYI.

Got the email reply back from Modelland - they are out. Ingolf - it looks like you got the last one in the world...

I’m going to try and make some . I’ll let you know if I succeed , I’ll send you one

Ingolf - that would be great if you could fab a couple. You would corner the market if you’re looking for a side hustle.

Excuse my ignorance @jokersmoker1313 but at this point, why not bite the bullet and buy a new motor?
If its worn out the shaft, it's gonna happen again. So you're gonna put yourself in this exact predicament some time in the future.

For what its worth, there's some awesome motors out there for good prices that waaaayyyy outperform anything HPI ever made. Yes it'd be more expensive, but think all the fun you'll have with a stronger motor ?

Biddie_Fiddler - Sure - I could spend a couple hundred bucks and get a new engine, but what’s the fun in that?

I like the XL because I can beat on it, fix it, go beat on it some more and have a blast doing it. And I’ve had a bunch of cars and trucks from team Losi 1/12 trucks to RC-10’s to electric airplanes and boats - always wanted a gas boat - my next project...

it’s an 8 dollar part. And if you’re into this hobby then you like puzzles. So if it’s a challenge to find this 8 dollar part vs spending $$250 on a new engine, then I’ll take the challenge.

there has to be one out there somewhere.

anyone can throw money at a problem and make it go away.

I have the one way needle bearings and other pieces so I’m not worrying about wearing out a new part. Plus, I used a drill as a starter recently and that’s when i noticed it slipping to failure - within a couple outings. I believe using a high speed drill ruined the shaft.

I replace the shaft and the needle bearings, and don't USE A DRILL TO START IT, I figure I’m good.

If I can’t find the 8 dollar part, then it will sit on my shelf for a couple more years until I am faced with either dumping it or getting a new engine. Right now, I still think I can find one. Even if it’s out of a used engine, there are parts out there.

sorry - Covid drinking makes me write too much.

thanks for the question tho.

PS - let me know if you have a spare engine that you want todonate to the project, I might think about switching engines if I can do it for 8 bucks or less.

cheers!

You know what , both bibbie-fiddler and jokersmoker are right . Few weeks ago I put a new Dynamite big red in my xl which I would like to say performs quite well . I then sent the piston and sleeve set from the 5.9 to RayAracing to get resized . And happened by luck to find a new start shaft and on way bearing . Should have a spare engine ready to go for about $100 . Just don’t tell my wife !!!!!

Exactly my way of thinking jokersmoker1313, that’s half the fun of nitro which electric lacks is modding/improving some part to see what that brings which is why I have always loved the savage! ??

Never knew that ! Punched it in computer and it came right up !! Says unavailable !!!!
?

Latest posts

Members online

Back