Need advice (stripped spur gear)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyPer50

Hi all, first post here. I recently "rebuilt" my HPI Savage 21 which has an OFNA (Force?) .26 motor. Basically just a good take apart/cleaning since it had been sitting on the shelf for a good 5-6 years. Anyways, about 5 minutes into getting it running again, it promptly lost all "go" and was smoking. Walked up to and saw that the spur gear was melted bare lol... So I have a few questions for you experts because I'm faaaaar from even a somewhat experienced RC builder.

1. Was this likely due to me not lining the engine/gear up correctly? I tried to make sure it was "meshed" correctly where it had just a little bit of play before engaging and it seemed to match some of the guide pictures I've seen posted on the web. Or would this be due to a clutch/some other issue?

2. Should I replace the spur gear with the stock HPI replacement (76942) or is there an upgrade (or series of upgrades) I should consider? Not sure if the OFNA motor is too powerful for the stock gear meant for the .21 motor or not.

I'm having lots of trouble finding a list of upgrades/parts for the Savage 21. Probably because this is the original Savage and is over 10 years old... Is there a similar new model Savage that most parts would also match up with my Savage? Savage X, Savage XL, Nitro RS4 MT2 (which apparently the 76942 gear fits also, according to RCplanet.com). Anyways, any advice or tips would be very much appreciated! It was a blast running my Savage again, I had forgotten how fast/powerful these things are!

PS: I've attached a picture of the stripped spur gear if it helps anyone diagnose the possible issue.

MqOB3Hv.jpg

With a bigger engine you may need to change your ratio too.
Thanks Jay. is there any way too trek for sure whether a new ratio is needed? I just bought a reinforced 51t spur gear and 14t clutch bell to replace my current factory setup.

A new ratio is going to be more preference than "needed". I'd say drive it and see how you like it. Then adjust accordingly.

i have a savage x 4.6 .I to had a problem with the stock plastic spur gear. I went with the robinson steal spur gear combo and love it. No problems since.

Latest posts

Members online

Back