My savage wont start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple6thug2

I currently have a savage x 4.6. It is brand new, I cant get the motor to start for the life of me. I have taken the glow plug out and tried to start it to see if my pistons are moving up and down and they are, I have tested my glow plug to make sure its good and it is. I am so close to just giving up I have only got it to start 3 times now and each time takes close to 45 min. can someone please help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong before I send it back and be done with it.

thanks

Fill the gas tank only 1/2 half full.
Set the needles to the specs in the manual.
Heat the engine with a hair drier until it is very hot to the touch.
remove the tank pressure line from the pipe and apply pressure to it with your mouth briefly.
Set your idle trim on your radio so the slide on the carb moves out a bit.
Place it on somethng so the wheels are off the ground.
Attach the glo driver and try to start it.

Fill the gas tank only 1/2 half full.
Set the needles to the specs in the manual.
Heat the engine with a hair drier until it is very hot to the touch.
remove the tank pressure line from the pipe and apply pressure to it with your mouth briefly.
Set your idle trim on your radio so the slide on the carb moves out a bit.
Place it on somethng so the wheels are off the ground.
Attach the glo driver and try to start it.

thank you I will try that tonight. could I just have a bad engine? I have only had it for a week. I still am in the break in stage. I would love to tune it.

thank you I will try that tonight. could I just have a bad engine? I have only had it for a week. I still am in the break in stage. I would love to tune it.

if the engine is still new and not broken in I would resist the urge to tune it, keep it rich for now and finish breaking it in...you can actually do real damage to your :ercm: if you rush thru and try messing with the needles, put it back to factory break in settings and if you have to adjust the high speed needle leaner by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a turn do so and run the truck a few more tanks, the :ercm: will actually let you know when it is ready for tuning if you pay attention to how it is running, in the meantime read thru this thread and familiarize yourself with every adjustment you will be using...

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/the-complete-beginners-guide-to-rcs.814/

Sometimes it is a hard learning curve to get over if you have never been around it before. I wouldn't adjust much of anything before you know what your doing for sure especially since you have not broken it in yet. A 1/8th turn on your carb goes a long way on nitros so it's very easy to over adjust.

There is a lot of good info on here and on YouTube, as well as your manual too. If you know anyone with a savage or a nitro rc in general, even your LHS if need be it might be worth while to pick their brain as well.

Ok. I got it started and got a tank and a half in tonight but it's spitting out out a trail of gas from the pipe. Is that normal until I tune it ?

Yes, you will run quite rich during break-in period.

Ok. I got it started and got a tank and a half in tonight but it's spitting out out a trail of gas from the pipe. Is that normal until I tune it ?

Yes it is supposed to because it can't burn all the fuel it is getting, now it is time to start leaning the high end needle in 1/12 increments until it starts running smoothly at mid to wide open throttles, leave all the other needles be at this time.... also keep track of the engine temps, try to get it above 200 degrees so the parts will wear in and it will get much better

awesome thank you guys I will get out there tomorrow and do that I might do another tank before I start tuning. I really appreciate all the help

Not to poke fun, but I can't wait till I can get a new engine for mine and have these issues. Lol, I've always had used stuff. I go thru a break in like I would with a new one, but there has to some fun in figuring out something brand new.

Latest posts

Members online

Back