My HPI Baja

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BajaRev

I bought a new KM Baja with a 30.5cc engine, here's a few pictures. Sorry for the bad quality on some, the sticker shows fuelie but who knows.

100_2448.jpg

100_2447.jpg

100_2446.jpg

100_2445.jpg

30.5cc should have some pretty strong low end. a decent pipe will up your HP for sure.

i might be selling a dominator V1 , just got a cpi big bore- dom adds a full hp to the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i took out the baja and couldn't get it started and then i ended up breaking the pullstart from trying to start it for a awhile, it would fllood and then i tried to lean out the carbs some and clean out the plug and it would spark good and the engine has good compression. i don't know. just disappointed right now

nice baja rev, id say to pull the plug and make sure its not covered in fuel . un hooking the line and pulling dry uasually will get ya going after a flood

ok, i kept drying off the plug but never unhooked the fuel line, maybe that's where i went wrong, now i have aq broken pullstart and will have to get another one to come in, always something seems like

Well, i took out the baja and couldn't get it started and then i ended up breaking the pullstart from trying to start it for a awhile, it would fllood and then i tried to lean out the carbs some and clean out the plug and it would spark good and the engine has good compression. i don't know. just disappointed right now

aight, here's the procedure to unflood your motor and get it running- imma save you a lot of heartache. this method comes from Bob at Dogpile racing products who modded my motor:

1. Remove plug
2. Whip engine over about 12 times very fast (with car upside down to evacuate built up gas).
3. Place 3-4 drops of straight 2 stroke oil down the plug hole
4. Turn engine over very slowly 4-5 times
5. Put a known good plug in
6. Choke off, throttle wide open and pull to start.
7. May take alot of pulls but it will go.
8. Once fired hold throttle open to clear out excess oil from the engine.

when you flood the engine, the gasoline dilutes the film of oil that forms between the ring and cylinder wall to give the motor compression. putting the oil drops in brings the film back so that the engine can have enough compression to fire.

if this doesnt help, then report back and the next thing we will do is check your coil gap (although you already point out that you have good spark).

frddyj has you takin care of . when you try and start the baja on the next run(after you get it cleared from being flooded and running) prime it turn the choke on and pull it easily till you hear it try and fire, then turn the choke off and pull it to start it

i tried that the first time and it didn't work Mickey, my pullstart is really jacked up, now it'll take a while before i can get it going

I heard some people talk about the timing being off in their bajas, how do you check that?

I heard some people talk about the timing being off in their bajas, how do you check that?

yeah, i wouldnt so much worry about that. the guys who say it are probably just frustrated about not being able to get it started.

yep yep fred is right.. its always been a flooding problem for me. I'm guessing that for others 2 and it always ended with a busted pullstart

I found the problem, the spark plug was crap that came with the Baja. i replaced the broken pull start and installed a new ngk plug and it fired up right away and runs great!

If you gave me another 500$ i would, plus i read where lots have flooded on the HPI Baja forum

its very uncommon to flood an HPI baja actually. Push the choke down, pull once or twice, push it down and it will fire up right away. Nothing to flood. If it doesnt start in 5 pulls then something is wrong. Only flooded mine once, and that was because i my choke didnt go all the way down, and i kept pulling like a maniac. It was a noob mistake. Never happened after thaat

its very uncommon to flood an HPI baja actually. Push the choke down, pull once or twice, push it down and it will fire up right away. Nothing to flood. If it doesnt start in 5 pulls then something is wrong. Only flooded mine once, and that was because i my choke didnt go all the way down, and i kept pulling like a maniac. It was a noob mistake. Never happened after thaat

My problem was the crappy torch plug, it runs like a champ now!

My problem was the crappy torch plug, it runs like a champ now!

before you know it, you will be deep in a money pit with this thing. the Quality isnt as great as the HPI's baja quality, but then, HPI's baja aint that durable either. For example, take a HPI baja out to the race track for 1 day, and i guarantee you it will not last.

before you know it, you will be deep in a money pit with this thing. the Quality isnt as great as the HPI's baja quality, but then, HPI's baja aint that durable either. For example, take a HPI baja out to the race track for 1 day, and i guarantee you it will not last.

are you basing this on your extensive experiance with a kingmotors baja or is this some heresay? mine has only had to have minor repairs which you have said your HPI baja has had the same issues. oh and by the way my 30.5 cc motor rips too

Members online

Back