My first port job! - K4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunar Wolf

Well since my K4.6 is about halfway through its life, thought i'd give it a crack. watcha think?!

Flared the ports and addes some guides.
front.jpg

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

After a little chat with Maximus it seems i should have left the boost port under the two ports in either side of the sleave alone, wooops! :duh:

Added a couple of small turbo scoops to the crank:
Scoop2.jpg

scoop1.jpg

Need to get a prop balancer now to make sure the crank is okay, any recommendations?

go easy i'm a noob :p

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice looking work...nice job...let us know how much of an improvement you notice...

looks like the sleeve is happy!!! there are too face if you can see on the second or third pictures. looks nice i think i might want to do that to my .21bb well the spare on at least :)

WOW, Thats really a sight. I got a HPI 4.6 also. Is yours the same mill? I ask this because there will come a time that I"ll want to do the same. Up to this point, sending my motor out to RB MODS was the likely move when the time comes but, after seeing your post here, I wonder if you could be so gracious to give us a step by step tutorial of your procedures of this work with pictures. And of course, your thoughts and reasoning process of theses procedures, so this forum and I could benifit from your knowledge. Piece of cake, huh...There's already a "how to" on the nitro star 25 you are most likely already aware of. It just does'nt apply the the 4.6 motor. All kidding aside, I know I'm asking alot... I do think there are some out here that can pull it off with your insight. Whatever you deside is understandable. I certainly realize that it takes your personal time and effort a to make a request like this happen. And thanks again for what you have shared with us, LUNAR WOLF. Respectfully, DOOBEEWHA

Oh wow, forgot all about those pics. That was just practice for this:

(sneak peak)
STScrank3.jpg

STScrank2.jpg

Still not finished yet, have some JB weld setting in the crank fute as we speak.

I'd say have an idea of what you want to acheive, mask off all areas that you don't want to touch, just incase the dremel slips, have the right bits for the job, round grinding stones, rubberised polishing bits, carbide cutters, polishing wheels with the correct compound.

Don't cut for the sake of it, remove a little material at a time and check everything. I really am a noob at this myself, the more experienced modders would have much better knowledge then me but good luck trying to get them to give up their secrets.

Super cool, I would most defiantly like to hear if you notice a performance gain from this.

I couldn't tell you that, the STS30 which the crank is from is brand new and unused , i've taken it apart to clean it up and seal it, decided to tackle the crank now as the sleeve is easy to pull and i can do that later if i want more power, although if these Rev.2 live up to the hype i don't think i'll need to.

HEY SIROW1230, Send it to rbmods.com (better known as RB MODS). If they will take your motor for mod servicing, they will ask for about $125 to re-port yout your sleeve, mod your crankshaft, and replace your main bearring with a much beeter quality one than the original. the website provides alot of info on parts, sts related hardware, testimonials, Rick's personal comments to his customers, and more. Rick seems to have a very stong following of satisfided clients that cant speak enough about how happy they are with the mods they've purchased. I'm planning to send in my 4.6 after I get about 8-9 gal. thru it. I highly recommend you checking it out, sirow1230. The idea of a mach 32 getting the RB treatment is frig'in scary. If you do manage to get this mod done, I want to see the video. JUST REMEMBER, full metal jacket on th drivetrain bro. -DOOBEEWHA

Iam pretty sure he knows about rb mods... I think its cool hes doing it himself, more power to ya wolf..

I agree SJ, by no means am I turnning the light light away from LW. In fact, I sent him in a earlier post, stating how cool it was to see what he's been up to. I also asked him about considering giving us a "how to" with his project so we can all benifit from his insight. The rb mods speal was for serio1230.

I knew you were replying to sirow there ;) i got a dremmel and like to get stuck in. To me its another aspect of the hobbie and fun to learn...

...except when the dremmel slips, that bit ain't fun.

Yea, the dremel and I have a very close relationship. I provide guitar repair & modification for my chosen vocation which includes handmade accoustic guitar construction. I think I have every tool and accessory Dremel ever made. Fret polishing is the number one use I need it for. I wanted to mention the artical that I saw on a site which can be found on line by google search. Type in,"porting nitro star 25". If that does'nt get you there, or at least in the ballpark, try a different combination like, "nitro star 25 porting". I'm sure you'll be close to it by brousing the choices in the search. Sorry I could'nt provide a link to the site for you and the rest of the forum members. The artical was originally published in an RC mag or somewhere and I thought you and the rest of the forum might want to check it out. That is, If you guys have'nt already seen it. I would love to hear what you and any others think about this artical. I thought it was pretty cool for me since I did'nt know the first thing about porting procedures and such at the time. My bash bud, Savagecre turned me on to the artical few months ago. -DOOBEEWHA

yeah saw that article years ago, its a good introduction, nothing heavy. I think the results of that mod job were a bit over stated though.

I've spoke to a person I meet at a hobbie shop on one ocation and the porting subject came up due to my having read said artical. It was suggested that I should start with the less critical parts of the engine when I start a project like this. By this, I mean working on the exhaust port and pipe first before attempting anything with the the sleeve and crankshaft. This will give you an opportunity to see what effect the mod you just performed has had on the engine.

You're right about the nature of that artical. Short and sweet. Just like those RC Mags like to dispence it. I have to admit, It sparked an interest and had me looking for the 4.6 version of this procedure. Care to elaberate on what was overstated?

I agree SJ, by no means am I turnning the light light away from LW. In fact, I sent him in a earlier post, stating how cool it was to see what he's been up to. I also asked him about considering giving us a "how to" with his project so we can all benifit from his insight. The rb mods speal was for serio1230.

ooh my bad bud :duh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back