My Air filter mod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Type

Hi

While struggling with trying to break my Octane in, now with new piston, sleeve and piston ring, I try to keep my mood up modding the horrendous air filter HPI put on this thing.

Here are a couple of photos of the new setup :)
20160301_173741.jpg

20160301_173801.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad looking. I'm guessing that is just a cylinder head breather?

How does it run with that filter on? I'm sure that I have read of Octane users changing the stock filter for the Baja one but it running like an absolute dog as the unrestricted filter setup completely threw out the fuel/air mixture.

Have you had the top plate off the carb. There are 2 plastic restricters in there that have to reduce the flow 80% at least. I think the carb is way to big for the engine.

I've just taken it for a short test run so far, but it seemed normal. There is a restrictor in the air intake, just before the carb, which my mod-filter attaches too. Perhaps others who modified and had problems replaced also these parts, then they would have such problems, I suppose.

Edit: The ones Francis mention, I see now ;) I still have them on (of course ;) )

As far as I understand the outerwear will keep the filter clear from dirt and water and be easy to rinse in water.
Time will tell how it works. In any case, it feels very good to have the filter away from behind the wheel. Yesterday I could squeese a couple of shots of water out of the original filter after a run on wet grass.

Last edited:
Ran the sixth tank today, after the engine renovation. First real run with the air filter mod. Worked like a charm.

This pic shows how much better placed the air filter is on top of the carb instead of in front of the electronics box. Check the dirt on the box, all of that would have hit the filter instead. This is from half a tank, without the body, on wet sand and gravel. The filter on top have almost no dirt. What on earth were they thinking putting the air filter in the worst possible position.

20160305_095151.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking filter setup @F-Type. How does the Savage Octane seem to run with the new setup?

Hi there @F-Type. can you please enlighten me to the installation process of this upgrade with the same filter. I'm interested in doing something similar but I'm not sure whether I need to connect anything between the filter and the carb. such as a velocity stack? Also what diameter filter do I need to get? Thanks

Basically I just cut the filter opening to fit on top of the original carb intake adapter. The filter is available in a shorter version which I think is more suitable as mine comers very close to the top of the roll cage and tend to get dented if you roll the car. So get the shorter version of the filter.

Basically I just cut the filter opening to fit on top of the original carb intake adapter. The filter is available in a shorter version which I think is more suitable as mine comers very close to the top of the roll cage and tend to get dented if you roll the car. So get the shorter version of the filter.

Thanks. Just waiting on the part to arrive. Finally ran in my first tank tonight at an industrial estate. Took me best part of 2 hours! But once it got going it was beautiful in every way! Turned out that the idle setting was too low and I had to pull on the throttle while having my mate pull the start pulley. Doh! Planning to run in a good few tanks and get it tuned before I swap the stock parts for integy parts. Ordered the lrp mielke exhaust from Germany. Fits straight on to the octane is tuned and produces more power, plus it's not as loud as the stock one!cant wait to upgrade this vehicle to a true beast. Keeping my fingers crossed it gets that far. Lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Back