My 39 tooth 2nd gear keeps stripping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osty

My 39 tooth 2nd gear keeps stripping. Any ideas on what could be happening. I have the robinson racing spur and clutchbell. Is my spur to tight? please help!!!

shouldn't be a problem , most all have their spur gears solid tight, could be a host of problems, bad bearings, or something in the drive train binding up bad creating stress or you have a very powerful motor! need more info to help better. are brakes dragging while driving?

check bearings in diff and pinion, and in all wheels, any dragging will stress and overheat gears and other components through out drive train, and I came across this one time, the gears in the rear diff were different size than in the front diff, that will destroy the weekest link quick.

only thing I did notice before this happening was if I turn the spur by hand there is a clicking noise that seemed to come from the transmission but I'm not sure where it actually comes from. weird thing is if the transmission is set to only run in second its fine and the 39 tooth lasts. its only when its set to change this happens.

well I'm not real good with trannies, but would consider a rebuild, or look on youtube at trans rebuild, sounds like something is binding or locking up , just not working right. hard to tell, have you considered new tranny?

look at diffs closely, spider gears, pinion and ring gear, maybe a tooth missing somewhere and check bearings make sure gearing is same front and rear, ive seen that. make sure brakes are not grabbing while sitting idle,

It sounds as if your clutch bell and spur are binding a bit by your description, are you sure you set the mesh correctly, a good test is to roll the truck back and forth on the floor, going forward it should almost freewheel and going backward will be a bit harder and you will see the spur and bell moving...

there should be just a slight tick of play between both gears when holding the bell and moving the spur back and forth just slightly.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back