Mesh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boost13az

What is the proper way to set gear mesh? I feel like the gearbox in my xs makes a ton of noise. I understand it's going to make a distinct amount of noise but it seems abnormally loud. Not in a good way either. Almost chattery. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it doesnt sound good. Id like to set the mesh up properly before I tear up the gearbox (even more) not to mention I have the hpi Warp 5700kv motor on deck. I have the 24t pinion and 60t idler (spur) -
Also could use some input on gear selection.
need some direction, please help :woot::nailbite:

I can't speak for the XS, but in general people like to use paper. They place a small piece between the spur and pinion and mesh the two gears together, then tighten. The paper makes a built in gap. Then simply rotate the gears to extract the paper.

Myself, I prefer sight, sound and feel. If the gear mesh is easily seen, it's not hard to mesh it properly. When you rotate the spur/ pinion you should not feel any excess resistance. You can always run the rig, lightly, for a few minutes and then take a look at your gears. If the mesh is too tight, the gears will overheat fairly quickly. If it is too loose you will start to see marks being made on the ends of the gear teeth. And sound, but that is something you need to learn. When you rotate the gears, or are running your rig, you'll know if the mesh isn't right.

In the end, it's a learning experience and you will likely run through a few gears in the process. :D

Right on - yeah I feel like my pinion to spur is ok, but I also feel that the other gears maybe have to much play in them. There seems to be room for them to wiggle. I put a little grease on & behind them just to see but idk.
Thanks for responding

The paper trick doesn't work on the xs because the pitch on the gears is too tight, and the mesh isn't adjustable enough for it to work. I'd be looking for wear on the pinion and/or spur gears. Also you may just need fresh grease on the teeth.

The paper trick doesn't work on the xs because the pitch on the gears is too tight, and the mesh isn't adjustable enough for it to work. I'd be looking for wear on the pinion and/or spur gears. Also you may just need fresh grease on the teeth.
I have gone through it 20 times. I have it greased. That's why I posted, I feel like I've tried everything!

Latest posts

Members online

Back