make your own power supply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NITROMITE

well i bought a Turnigy charger and i didnt realize that it did not come with a power supply!
i think i can get this done useing a computer power supply. i will just need to match the specs of the charger.

Here is a video of a guy doing this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ4eB0hvnQQ

has any one tried this yet??

I sell one that will do 18A continuous, if your interested. It has a set of Female Banana's on it to accept your male banana plugs on most of your chargers.

idk bout you but going el chep-o on a charger is not good when charging hig dollar batteries and lipos don't want a mis fire and have you place down in the dumps but lars would be the best bet for the your budget

This really looks simple guys and with the price of the power suplies you are posting WOW i just need to charge two hump packs. i cant see spending any more loot to get that done. i have the power supply from a old pc (12V 5A) Cost=$0.00
The charger has not arrived yet, i ordered it thursday.
but when i do this i will have pics and do the write up. if any one has suggestions for me please post.

This really looks simple guys and with the price of the power suplies you are posting WOW i just need to charge two hump packs. i cant see spending any more loot to get that done. i have the power supply from a old pc (12V 5A) Cost=$0.00
The charger has not arrived yet, i ordered it thursday.
but when i do this i will have pics and do the write up. if any one has suggestions for me please post.

only suggestion i have is be careful with that guy. ive never done it but visioniary tole me that you can eletricute yourself easily with computer power supply (although i don't remember how).

you should pm chris (his username is chris) here from CDE electronics. i know he makes powersupplies & he can probs give you some advice.

I have modded a computer power supply for RC use. Actually REALLY REALLY easy. Just be careful!

I had a PSU from a raidmax case, 500w and 28amp or something, can't remember.

Cut the purple wire on the motherboard plug and grounded it out so that the PSU is always on when the switch is on. Otherwise it waits for signal from the motherboard.

Then I took some of the plugins and cut the ends off. Total I gathered about 4 +'s and 4 -'s to created a connection. Worked great, just make sure the leads do NOT touch the PSU case or it will toast it instantly. I learned that the hard way.

thanks for the advise! did you do a write up? do you have any pics?

I'll get some pics of it if I still have it.

No write up on it, did it at the track, another guy showed me how to do it. did it all in about 5 minutes.

I'll get some pics of it if I still have it.

No write up on it, did it at the track, another guy showed me how to do it. did it all in about 5 minutes.

Thats what I'm talking about.. done right this will help many that end up in my situation..
I should have bought Banks but thought i was geting a deal when i seen $33.00 for a new one. (read the fine print before you buy) frddyj warned me but i got it after the purchase.
DTBL

I think I just saw it laying in my room. If so I will get pics tomorrow of what I did. If you do convert a computer power supply, MAKE SURE YOU DON"T LET THE LEADS TOUCH THE SUPPLY OR EACH OTHER!!!

It will toast it almost instantly....Just a heads up.

If your DC charger can eat 24V happily, try this.

Look on ebay for a HP J4839A single-railed switching power supply. It is used for enterprise network switches, and throws out 24V at 23A. It has an integral 92mm cooling fan and is built for 24x7x365 operation.

A 14 pin molex connector provides power out. This can be built by trimming down a 20 pin ATX male connector commonly used for PC power supplies. You will want to replace the power leads with thicker cables though since I have my doubts as to whether a few thin cables can handle that much current.

Pin outs are

|+24|+24|GND|---|---|GND|+24|
|+24|GND|GND|---|---|GND|+24|

with the power supply label up, and the output connector on the lower left side of the case The 4 "---" pins are used for signalling and are left untouched.

I suggest you test outputs with a multimeter yourself before making / connecting the harness to prevent a short. Shorting out 500W is NO fun.

Using one now with my EOS0615i Duo3. It should be able to run a pair of EOS0720i NET3s at the same time without breaking a sweat.

DF

I have modded a computer power supply for RC use. Actually REALLY REALLY easy. Just be careful!

I had a PSU from a raidmax case, 500w and 28amp or something, can't remember.

Cut the purple wire on the motherboard plug and grounded it out so that the PSU is always on when the switch is on. Otherwise it waits for signal from the motherboard.

Then I took some of the plugins and cut the ends off. Total I gathered about 4 +'s and 4 -'s to created a connection. Worked great, just make sure the leads do NOT touch the PSU case or it will toast it instantly. I learned that the hard way.

Some comments.

1. On many ATX power supplies the green cable is the signal cable. It needs to be grounded to turn the supply on.

2. Shorting on good supplies usually trips a protection circuit. Leave the supply alone for a minute or two and it usually recovers without incident.

3. The "signal on" cable on ATX plugs with the clip up shoud be the top 4th from the left.

* clip up, looking into connector* + is the signal lead.

X X X + X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X X X

DF

I think I just saw it laying in my room. If so I will get pics tomorrow of what I did. If you do convert a computer power supply, MAKE SURE YOU DON"T LET THE LEADS TOUCH THE SUPPLY OR EACH OTHER!!!

It will toast it almost instantly....Just a heads up.

good point! i will plug to the charger before plugging to the wall.

One more thing to note. Try to limit your modding to SINGLE RAIL power supplies. Many cheaper high wattage supplies these days combine multiple small transformers to supply the full rated wattage. You may get unexpected results if you combine the outputs together on a multirail supply.

You can differentiate a multirail supply from a single rail supply by checking the output information. Single rail supplies will have a single +12v out and amp rating. Multi rail supplies will have a +12v1, +12v2, sometimes as many as 4, each with smaller amp ratings.

DF

here is a link and all the info you should need to knower about the charger i bought
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028

I'm almost off work but ill be back on right arround 6pm

Alrighty man I got busy at work and couldn't get to it. We should talk in the shout so it would be easier. hehe

Anyway, just about *any* off-the-shelf PC power supply can be turned into a high-current switch-mode power supply for the price of parts (if you already have said power supply).

As was mentioned before watch for multiple-rail power supplies (meaning more than (1) 12v output. There is an exception here because some high-dollar supplies have multiple high-current rails.

If you have a choice...go for an ATX power supply as these are readily available for cheap, come is many variations, and have a built-in power switch.

I can explain all the fine details of the conversion, but I can offer to do it for you for the price of parts if you'd prefer (~$10 or so).

Send me a PM and we'll discuss it.

Alrighty man I got busy at work and couldn't get to it. We should talk in the shout so it would be easier. hehe

Anyway, just about *any* off-the-shelf PC power supply can be turned into a high-current switch-mode power supply for the price of parts (if you already have said power supply).

As was mentioned before watch for multiple-rail power supplies (meaning more than (1) 12v output. There is an exception here because some high-dollar supplies have multiple high-current rails.

If you have a choice...go for an ATX power supply as these are readily available for cheap, come is many variations, and have a built-in power switch.

I can explain all the fine details of the conversion, but I can offer to do it for you for the price of parts if you'd prefer (~$10 or so).

Send me a PM and we'll discuss it.
Thanks man glad your willing to help. i will send you a PM My charger is still not in so i don't know where to start, i don't even know what typr of plug the charger takes yet.

Thanks man glad your willing to help. i will send you a PM My charger is still not in so i don't know where to start, i don't even know what typr of plug the charger takes yet.

http://www.haleyshobby.com/images/DSCN2212.JPG

It will have a plug with alligator clips...I would replace the alligator clips with banana jacks to plug directly into the power supply I build for you. :getdown:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/go-to73/Power Supplies/9f3389ba.jpg

Something like that.

Latest posts

Members online

Back