Maintanence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

Can i use WD-40 on the gears on my savage x. If not what do i use, where do i use it, and how ofen do i use it. I also read a thing about changing the shock oil on my truck and didn't fully unbder stand that. please explaine.
Also is it critical for me to clean the air filter, and is it necessary for me to use air filter oil.
Thanks...

You can use WD-40 on all moving parts.etc..upper and lower arms,c-hubs,drive cups were the dogbones sit,as for how often,you should inspect and clean your truck after every run,check all the screw makeing sure none are ready to fall out and such,check your wheel nust every time you come in for fuel.As for changing your shock oil...now stock shocks come with i believe 20-25,000 weight oil in them..if you want stiffer response from your shock..use a little thicker oil in them...to do this..simply drain out the oil..compress the shock all the way in..then add the oil...filll the shock right full...then slowly pull out the shock..work it in and out till you get rid of all the air bubbles in the oil(trapped air)when you are finished top off the oil so it makes a small bubble over the end of the shock..in other words..right full...with the shock compressed fully inside the chamber add your cap and your shock will now have a slightly stiffer action to it now...repeat for all 8.If done right when screwing on your cap the shock should push out slightly when tight.
Your air filter is a must clean item...clean it after every run,if this is dirty it will lead to a bunch of running problems..etc..over heating,eating glow plugs..your engine needs air..and if you restric it to much(dirty filter) it will give you the signs of a lean running engine and you will be chasing a tune all day,not to mention do damage to your engine also.
After your done running you should go over the truck totally till you get used to what the problem areas are,check everything...plus remove your plug and add some after run oil then turn the motor over to insure a good coating.
Glow plugs should be checked every time also...and changed if your coil is dis coloured in any way like black,grey..or even broken..change it out.also.rememebr to dump out your old fuel when your finished for the day also the fuel evaporates and leaves a oily residue inside your engine.

-joe

just a quick note - i thought the savage gear box was a dry system and shouldn't ever be greased or oiled in any way. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'd hate for you to gum up your tranny with oil by mistake. :confused:

sleeper341 said:
just a quick note - i thought the savage gear box was a dry system and shouldn't ever be greased or oiled in any way. Correct me if i'm wrong but i'd hate for you to gum up your tranny with oil by mistake. :confused:

I think so too, when I took the tranny apart I found it completely dry.
I got the SS4.6 so the tranny and the front and rear gearboxes were prebuilt in the box.
maybe they have to stay dry because the clutch holder must stay clean of oil and dirt.
I don`t think it will shift properly when the clutch holder is clogged up with dirt and grease.
the only gears which had to be lubed according to the manual were the front and rear gearboxes.

Speedster said:
Also is it critical for me to clean the air filter, and is it necessary for me to use air filter oil.
Thanks...
You should clean it whenever you see it's dirty. Or after every time you use it in the dirt. If not, and you're just using it on street and stuff you should clean the air filter after every 5 tanks. You can use the air filter oil, but the best is to use actual nitro. I usually get the actual dirt off with nitro force then hit it with the real nitro. It makes it look brand new and also blows it up so you can clean it better. If you're at home you could always use water too.

it say's in my manual to rinse it with my nitro then to coat it with air filter oil. Also i am using sidwinder fuel and they say not to run after run ols because the fuel allready contains it. And i don't think that you are supposed to ol or lube your transmission.

coating it with airfilter oil isn't essential as there is oil in your nitro fuel. but it won't hurt if you want to use some too. personal choice.

Ok i have over 2 gallons through and Never put air filter oil on..Runs fine and I clean it with Nitro,water and air..Works good

Latest posts

Members online

Back