LRP zr.32x wont turn over(brand new)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadams575

Hey guys so I ordered a brand new lrp zr.32x 4 spec for my hpi savage and when I started to assemble the engine I started to lube everything up and the piston is getting caught in the cylinder.....anyone else have issues with these motors? I'm pretty bummed out cause I ordered the pull start version then they sent me the competition engine, so I started ordering the parts to convert it to a pull start and now the motor won't even turn over properly,think I should try send the whole thing back or just try get a cylinder for it? I paid an arm and a leg for this cause I'm in canada and I ordered everything from the states thanks guys

Have you put the back plate on the correct way around? Or do you mean there is too much compression to turn it over? If so loosen the glow plug 1/2 a turn and then when it starts tighten it down again

Last edited:
Unfortunately, since you've already swapped parts out on it and lubed everything, you probably won't be able to return it. The piston being tight in the sleeve is normal for a new engine. All sleeves have a taper, wider at the bottom & smaller at the top. That's how it stays sealed and under compression cuz there are no piston rings like a normal engine. Like wolfie said, loosen the glow plug slightly to relieve some of the pressure and once it's started, tighten it back up. Also, heating the engine with a heat gun will also help quite a bit, especially in colder areas of the world, like canada. Also, make sure the engine isn't flooded from over priming it. Most engines start to loosen up a bit after a gal of fuel has been ran through it. My Axial had a tight pinch too when it was new and I actually got blisters from tryin to start it with the pull start.

I have the plug out completely but once the piston makes it past the halfway mark it just feels like somthing is binding to the point where it bearly comes back down. If that's normal then I'm just overthinking it obv, and yes backplate is on the right position, thanks for the replys guys!!

new engines are tight. be sure to use a fully charged glow plug starter for easy starting. don't use ones with alkaline batteries or else you'll have a hard time starting.

It also helps to heat the engine up to 150F with a hair dryer or heat gun. Be careful with a heat gun, they get hot. As mentioned, when new, they can be a SOB to turn over, especially when rotating the crank by hand with the flywheel. Heating it will help it turn over more easily and make it easier on the engine itself as it breaks in. All the LRP's I've had were kind of fussy for the first gallon or so, but after that, they would stabilize temps/tune and really start performing well. The first half gallon is rough starting though. Especially without heat.

Remove backplate and compare how it turns over as maybe something isnt sitting right. Check that the crank is isnt binding on the crankcase.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back