LRP Spec 3 or OS VG 30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsavage3148

Been debating on which on to get for a while now for the basher. haven't found much info on the OS. Everyone seems to love the LRP. What are your opinions? What gearing is everyone using?

I personally have both engines. The os doesnt have the top end and mid range power the lrp has. The bottom end is still pretty stout, I am still working on my low end tuning on the os30 as it is a new engine to me. For overall power the lrp has it beat.

go lrp i have on and love it,got 18/47 gear combo

I've had my O.S.30VG. Never owned the LRP, but have heard nothing but good things. It's also less expensive than the O.S.(pretty sure) I bought the O.S. about a year ago. My major concern when buying was longevity. In my books O.S. dominates that category.

I am willing to put money down on what engine would win in a tugg of war. Betting my Savy With O.S.30VG . Peace

It's all a question of how much you want to spend. rtr motor the f4.6 to 5.9, lrp,os30vg. mid range rb, or the picco clone (Paris Picco died awhile back and the only thing the companies could buy was the name. The do not have any of his designs nor have the rights to copy them from his estate. The only thing Picco about a Picco is the name. That is why trinity and 2 other companies run with the name. Got a friend with a signed Paris motor and he can't even run it do to there are no parts for it if it breaks. He lost a carb part a few years back and it cost him over 100.00 on the Bay to get the piece. So I use Picco loosely. Sorry for the rant). Top end a hot mod Nova motor. set you back over a grand for that one.

Picco clone or not, they are still amazing engines.

Anyway, aside from the Nova Rossi 28XRP, there is no stock engine that can run with a Picco P3 28. The stock Picco will outpower a modded LRP from bottom to top. The Picco is also a MUCH higher quality engine, using much harder and more durable materials in its construction. It will last far longer than the LRP.

The only advantage the LRP has is a slight edge in break in and tuning ease.

There is only a $30 difference in price, so you would be stupid to buy an LRP when a Picco is available.

Picco clone or not, they are still amazing engines.

Anyway, aside from the Nova Rossi 28XRP, there is no stock engine that can run with a Picco P3 28. The stock Picco will outpower a modded LRP from bottom to top. The Picco is also a MUCH higher quality engine, using much harder and more durable materials in its construction. It will last far longer than the LRP.

The only advantage the LRP has is a slight edge in break in and tuning ease.

There is only a $30 difference in price, so you would be stupid to buy an LRP when a Picco is available.

Call me STUPID THEN !!!!!!!!!!!

Let me make it easier......My personal preference Picco isn't a Picco anymore. As for the P3 nice motor but sorry to say it but my poor little os30VG powered Savage dogged a P3 in an Ofna onroad car. In drag runs I was hitting 60MPH on the radar. I beat it off the line and stayed ahead all the way to the finish. The length of the runs were about 300ft maybe a little less. I will give it credit he was catching me but I did beat him by 1.5 lengths. So in closing I would say get an easy motor that you can tune and keep a tune. Bashing get an LRP, OS or Go-Tech.

What pipe was he running? The Picco is very pipe picky, and seems to run best with a 086 or similar. Given identical setups, the OS .30 may have a slight off the line advantage, but it quickly loses steam as RPM levels climb, while the Picco keeps on revving.

He started out with a........not sure what it was then he started running a vantage pipe because it worked very well with the ninja .21. that motor ripped me a new one and i had one more gear.

So where would be a good fast reliable place to get the LRP. SMF doesnt have them in stock.

Did this go off topic so you all could argue? xsavage3148 asked LRP or OS VG 30. Whats all the picco talk should I just start ranting about my JP Rossi 528?

The LRP is a very well built mill for the money. It will pull and I run 47/20 all day long and flip the truck on its roof all day long. My opinion on this is why spend the extra on a P3 when the LRP is overpowered enough. Do you all like your truck out of control. I for one don't and for 160.00 USD the Lrp will put it at it edge of chassis performance. This is what I look for in any mill. Not how fast can it go. I don't drag race my savage. Speed is nothing if the truck is out of control. The LRP is a nice mix short money/ sweet power. So in the os/lrp ? I say LRP.

So i have decided to go with the LRP now i jsut have to figure out a good tuned pipe to go with.
Other than buku what is a good option. I have the polished hpi but heard that one wasnt that great for this engine.

There are so many pipes out there it isn't even funny. Hot bodies top end pipe is similar to the JP2 pipe for less I do believe. I ran the OS30 with that pipe with the 47/20 ratio and it worked great. I would also go to aluminum shoes. Get either the HPI or Nova shoes. Just make sure you run a vented clutch bell. You will get less slipping on it than the stock clutches. Not sure but you can ask Jeremy what pipe he used with the LRP before the BUKU and some of the other LRP guys have run multiple pipes so you could have a good base line on what to run.

Get a Buku. I'm still learning to tune it(short on time) but Mega's got one, he gave me the lowdown. Many will agree it is worth every penny. Peace.

ok I'm sold on the lrp i jsut have to find where to order it from and a good pipe for it

You need to find a good one piece header. I use a hot bodies header with one and an STS header on the other truck.

I am leaning towards something other than the ths. I'm still trying to find out how the jammin jp-4 works with the lrp.

i have the new picco.p3 and I'm still breaking it in now I'm going for tank 10 and i am telling you people this engine is so strong I'm scared to start tuning it. i have it on the richest mixture and its reaching second gear not full throttle. i know i will be able to do wheelies after 1/8 turn in tuning. the engine is insane.

adam modded my picco anf I'm putting 30 tanks through it before i start tuning.

i got 21 more tanks to go. i know its a lot but it will pay off later.

i think i will be able to hit 60mph+ once its fully tuned!

i think i will be able to hit 60mph+ once its fully tuned![/QUOTE]

I`d love to see that

i think i will be able to hit 60mph+ once its fully tuned!

I wish you lived in wa.. I would race you in a heart beat..

60mph .. come on bud .. you better be runing a 25 tooth cb . and a 40 tooth sg.. then push start it to get it moving .:duh:

Latest posts

Members online

Back