LRP 28 Spec 3 Break In Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ulua

Aloha All,

I was wondering if some one could help me out. I broke in my LRP 28 today.
I chose to use Squirrelod break in method. So on the first 3 tanks I had no issues keeping my engine temp at 200, but on the 4 and 5 tank at full throttle I was unable to keep it that low, It seem the first few minutes is ok but after a while the temp ranged from 230 to 300 deg. So I kept on having to cool it down in between runs. I backed off the HSN to make it more rich but temp still got up there.
I could only richen so much, after a while the engine would die when to rich.
I don't think I have any leaks as I have sealed my engine. any ideas.

Thanks
ulua

ritchen up the lsop so it wont die on you I'm thinking its to lean as well as the hsn.. just ritchen them both up .. bring your idle up if the needles drop the rpm so it wont idle...

Thanks max, also what is a lsop i'm not to familiar with all the rc abbreviations
yet.

Thanks,
ulua

Low Speed Needle. When you adjust the LSN properly the engine should be cooling vise the temperature rising. If you do this and the engine dies then bump your idle up until the truck is able to keep alive, this is considering the engine is warmed up. Start it and run it, varying rpm's until it is warmed up. Do some Wide Open Throttle (WOT) tuning the HSN (nice smoke trail and good speed), if your engine is making a high pitch WEEEEE vise WAAIE, richen the HSN. Then go after your LSN and either lean or richen based on the low speed launch. When you are satisfied with the low end punch (only 1/4 throttle) and the tires not spining when suspended, do another WOT and listen to the idle, if it rises after you let go the throttle then your lean, if it drops right back to idle then you are on the rich side and probably good to go. Now if you want to fine tune, only turn the needles 1/16 of a turn, as just little variations of needle changes will make a big difference.

If you think it is rich and you are getting high temps, throw away the temp gun and run the engine. A temp gun is a good tool sometimes, but other times it takes over for common sense. (No offense intended). I have seen guys waste hours because there engine is running crappy (rich) but there temp gun says 300+. When you think about it, that doesn't make sense.
I rarely ever take out a temp gun anymore. If the engine is running good, with a good trail of smoke, it's good. I don't care if my buddy's $20 temp gun says 350. I have had SH .28 8-Port engines (the same as your LRP) run 270-300 for a whole season(7 gals).

Low Speed Needle. When you adjust the LSN properly the engine should be cooling vise the temperature rising. If you do this and the engine dies then bump your idle up until the truck is able to keep alive, this is considering the engine is warmed up. Start it and run it, varying rpm's until it is warmed up. Do some Wide Open Throttle (WOT) tuning the HSN (nice smoke trail and good speed), if your engine is making a high pitch WEEEEE vise WAAIE, richen the HSN. Then go after your LSN and either lean or richen based on the low speed launch. When you are satisfied with the low end punch (only 1/4 throttle) and the tires not spining when suspended, do another WOT and listen to the idle, if it rises after you let go the throttle then your lean, if it drops right back to idle then you are on the rich side and probably good to go. Now if you want to fine tune, only turn the needles 1/16 of a turn, as just little variations of needle changes will make a big difference.

Thanks Joe

If you think it is rich and you are getting high temps, throw away the temp gun and run the engine. A temp gun is a good tool sometimes, but other times it takes over for common sense. (No offense intended). I have seen guys waste hours because there engine is running crappy (rich) but there temp gun says 300+. When you think about it, that doesn't make sense.
I rarely ever take out a temp gun anymore. If the engine is running good, with a good trail of smoke, it's good. I don't care if my buddy's $20 temp gun says 350. I have had SH .28 8-Port engines (the same as your LRP) run 270-300 for a whole season(7 gals).

No offense taken, I was only using the temp gun for my break in as I was trying to get it to stay with in 200 deg. but on my 4 and 5 tank of break in which is to do a full throttle is where my temp was going crazy, not sure if this normal but my engine and pipe was smoking. Had to cool it down a few times. I believe I have my LSN and HSN at factory or close to it, the screws are flush. also is the pinch test to shutdown the engine a good way to set your LSN?

thanks
ulua

I have had very good results with the pinch test as long as the engine is warm and pinch it right after a fast run.
One very common problem I see at the track is when guys don't check the idle gap. If you do a pinch test and your truck revs so high that it starts to move, the idle gap may be too big. If the idle gap is too small, the low speed needle has to be set very lean to match. If you have a big idle gap, you would be trying to idle the truck with too much fuel (low Speed needle too rich) Look for about 1mm gap in the carb. Some have to be a little more and some a little less.

Remenber to leave the piston at bottom dead center after your done for the day with the car and use after run oil

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back