Looking for advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b996

Hey guys

First off I would like to flat out say I am a new to the world of RC Cars. For the past couple of weeks I have been researching the rc car that will fit my needs: basically poke around in the yard (no serious jumping or racing), and it will remain stock. Through my research I have landed on Savage being the type of car for me, but the decision for the X versus the XL was a bit tricky. Finally I decided to go with the 4.6 because of the strong engine and the price is quite a bit lower for the RTR kits. I was hoping you guys could look through the compenents I have chosen and let me know if I am headed in the right direction and ANY advice would greatly be appreciated!

Untitled.jpg

basically I am going with the 4.6 x RTR combo which includes: DuraTrax Kwik-Pit 250cc Fuel Bottle, DuraTrax Onyx 100 AC/DC Peak Charger NiCd NiMH
,$20 Tower Gift Certificate Promotion, Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh NiCd Stick Std Plug, Tower Hobbies TOWER Power Glo-Starter Std w/o Meter,Venom AA Eco Alkaline Batteries (4)

also purchasing: Hobbico After Run Engine Oil 2 oz, O.S. #8 Glow Plug Long Med Air/Car, DuraTrax Deluxe Car Wrench, HPI Racing Wheelie Bar Set Savage

I do have fuel at my house already! Again I would appreciate any advice on what else I need to purchase for my first car from you veterans. Towerhobbies is the best price I have found so far because I will get 60 dollars back on my purchase of 500.

Thanks,
Brian

welcome to the forum... and yes i agree with lj.. get the mcoy mc8.. the os tend to burn out really fast . every thing else is good ... might want to add great planes blue medium loctight to .. its cheap for a nice sized bottle and youll need it ... they don't loctite anything on the stock trucks i don't think ..lol

what fuel are you going to run

I have a O'Donnell 20% Racing Fuel, this was recomended by my local hobby shop for someone with not much experience in tuning nitro engines (i bought a gallon of it).

1st off welcome to the forum. Everything looks good. Other than the glow plug. Go with what ljrce said.

Thanks, I am very excited for my first RC car and I changed the glow plug!

might want to add great planes blue medium loctight to .. its cheap for a nice sized bottle and youll need it ... they don't loctite anything on the stock trucks i don't think ..lol

added... thanks! I will plan on putting that on all the bolts going into metal i believe?

and if you need a glow ignitor here is a good one
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSF52&P=7

The combo package I am getting comes with a glow ignitor actually, but thanks!

brian all nice choices and you will find a unanimous decision on the mccoy/ dynamite mc#8 glow plugs. the only thing i don't see listed or added by yourself or the members is a hump pack or reciever pack http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVRH2&P=ML

What are the advantages to the hump pack versus using traditional batteries and swapping them out?

Again thanks for all the feedback! This forum has been extremely helpful thus far..

Brian

welcome to the forum, and great choice in grabbing a savage........Well the hump pack produces 6 volts were as the 4 aa's only are 4.8 volts which in turn will let you run it longer and you get better response with your throttle and braking from a hump pack cuz of the extra power and it saves you alot of money from buying aa's all the time..i know it doesnt seem like alot of difference between 4.8 volts and 6 volts but it made a world of difference in my savage....

Last edited by a moderator:
welcom to the forum

good choice of truck for the glow plug i run os#8 never had any problems also use blue locktight on evry every bolt or screw your gona love that truck i have an old savage 25 that i bash hard and now i got an xl to just do the proper breakin and take your time tuning it have fun lou

Congrats on the 4.6 and enjoy! Buy the hump pack,Life will be easier. Trust me. The parts list is solid. Add this forum to your favs and check back daily for great info!

do they come with filter oil? been so long I cant remember , would be a good thing to have.

and welcome to the club ! I have three savages

Members online

No members online now.
Back