Long winter savage overhaul

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerdog

image.jpeg image.jpeg first off I'd like to start by saying, I thought I knew a savage pretty good. Till I was giving my truck a winter cleaning/inspection, went on the 'internet' to find some part numbers. Ran into 'HPISF' and my eyes have now been opened to a whole new world of savage wonders. So thanks for all the great info and ideas folks. This site really is amazing.
First thing I read about and wanted to do was de-anodize and get the purple plague off my truck. So all my aluminum was removed, bathed in drano and polished to a shine.
Inspecting my diffs found some broken teeth so in stalled some machined bp's
image.jpeg
10k oil, new bearings and shimmed up snug.
Then while reading 'member projects' I saw a mid-tank mod. Didn't even know this was possible with a savage. But I knew I had to do it.
So Here's mine:
image.jpeg
A little grinding to allow the screw head to clear
image.jpeg
Some 1x1 aluminum for steering servo mount.
image.jpeg
2mm aluminum plate for tank mount
image.jpeg
Another 1x1 for throttle servo
image.jpeg
Some ofna sliders and stoppers
image.jpeg
D8t tank, hot bodies receiver box, a349 battery box, Jr switch/charging port
image.jpeg
Small plate to hang battery box.
image.jpeg
Made a skid plate
image.jpeg
And sealed up the OS!
Just waiting on three little springs to hold my exhaust together and I can try it out. Been a long winter, but warm days coming this weekend. Big bores too.
A set of Flm TVP's are in my future, still undecided wether to go ext or not

That throttle linkage setup is pretty nice. However, I'd suggest getting an actual spring for the TRS vs a rubber band. Can't imagine the rubber band will hold up well to oil/fuel getting on it.

Also, if that's an MGT tank, I hope you have better luck than I did. Mine sucked air in all over the place and made tuning a nightmare. I made a mount for mine a long time ago in the stock location. Ran a few tanks through it and gave up then went back to the small 125cc ofna tank I was running.

Also, if that's an MGT tank, I hope you have better luck than I did. Mine sucked air in all over the place and made tuning a nightmare. I made a mount for mine a long time ago in the stock location. Ran a few tanks through it and gave up then went back to the small 125cc ofna tank I was running.

I thought he said it is a D8T tank?

hbs113391_1.jpg

That throttle linkage setup is pretty nice. However, I'd suggest getting an actual spring for the TRS vs a rubber band. Can't imagine the rubber band will hold up well to oil/fuel getting on it.

Ya I do have the spring for my throttle return. Ive had a rubber band on there for easy removal while setting up my linkage. It actually works really well to close the throttle, but I agree it wouldn't last long with fuel/dirt/heat. I'll prob be putting the spring on when I zip my filer to the carb. Still a few finishing touches to go yet. And no the tanks a d8t tank. It was inexpensive, easy to find, and I liked that it comes with the stone clunk fuel filter

Hi Bauerdog, nice build ..

Can you tell me what size the receiver box is you are using? And the Partnumber please...
I have a humppack made out of 5 Eneloop AA batteries and most boxes are too small.

Hi Bauerdog, nice build ..

Can you tell me what size the receiver box is you are using? And the Partnumber please...
I have a humppack made out of 5 Eneloop AA batteries and most boxes are too small.
It's a hotbodies Lightning 2 receiver box. P/N- HBC8056-1. I'm not sure on the dimensions off hand but give me an hour and I'll measure it up. It will hold a reg hump pack and a receiver no prob, and the whole side comes off with a few body clips for easy access

It's a hotbodies Lightning 2 receiver box. P/N- HBC8056-1. I'm not sure on the dimensions off hand but give me an hour and I'll measure it up. It will hold a reg hump pack and a receiver no prob, and the whole side comes off with a few body clips for easy access
Dimensions are 2 5/8" x 3" inside. Aprox 1"deep. It has a plastic ridge running through it that could be dremmeled out for more room if needed
image.jpeg

Thank you.. Now converting to mm's. :) :) Hmmmm. If the converter will do what it needs to.
There is a small step out in the box where my Rx is mounted probably 3-4mm decreasing the depth on the bottom portion of the box. And one corner is 45ed

Members online

No members online now.
Back