LiPo problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derikmills

I have 2 sets of LiPo batteries for my flux. One are venom 5000mah 40c and the other gens ace 5000mah 50c. My venom set has quit working. The cells are not dead, they all hold their full charge, and deans connectors seem to be fine. When I connect them the esc turns on and arms itself, but when I give it any throttle it cuts off completely and then turns back on and arms itself again. The gens ace set seems to have no issues at all. Any ideas? I am looking into some new batteries, but these are maybe 6 months old. I took them to lhs and they said they are fine because the cells hold charge. I put new connectors on and it did not fix the problem. Thank you all in advance for suggestions. I searched for this in threads but found nothing yet.

Have you verified all of the cell voltages are about 4.2VDC when fully charged? Verified that you get the sum of the cells at your deans connector (4.2VDC x number of cells fully charged)? Have you tried the venom batteries in a different RC?

As an aside, if the Venom batteries are that new, Venom will warranty and replace them. I've done it in the past.

I would also check the internal resistance of the packs. If it is high enough is it possible to trigger the lvc of your esc? Had a similar situation in my heli. Cells charged fine but under a load would not supply enough voltage for the governor to maintain head speed.

Thanks for the reply X! I have checked at both balance plugs and deans connectors and voltage is good at both. I also took them into lhs to see about warranty and they checked them and said the voltage is good so it must be my deans connection. My other set works well. I was thinking it was my esc at first. Unfortunately I don't own another electric rc. My other three are nitro. Maybe this is my excuse to buy one. Hehe. If only I weren't so poor. Maybe I can just send them to venom myself. My lhs usually does that for me.

Madgadget_1 I have no idea how to check my resistance, but I will do some research and see what I come up with. I'm all about learning what I can. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lhs has a charger that can do it for you. Typically its checked from storage charge or after a discharge cycle. But it's a good indicator of LiPo health regardless. Merry Christmas and have fun!

Check to make sure the connectors are in good shape. I've had problems with worn dean's clips and dean's clips that have been overheated during soldering. The contact wandered in the plastic and didn't make a good connection. (in my early years before I learned proper soldering technique)

You could also try and check your voltage when your trying to use them to see if the voltage drops sharply when you try to apply throttle. It should drop a little, but if it drops a lot, you have a bad cell in there.

I use SMC 9000Mah 2S soft packs and SMC 7200Mah 2S hard packs in my flux. They work really well. I run the 9k's in my brushless revo as well. After a full year, one pair of my packs are starting to get worn as they take longer to charge and don't have as long of runtime as they used to. Still, not bad I don't think for the abuse they are put through.

All I run are SMC packs. I use them in my 4x4 stampede, brushless converted jato, savage flux hp and brushless revo. All the ones I use are 2S.
2017-0410-SMCLipos.jpg

That Lectron Pro pack came with my stampede. It's junk, but I only use it as my tester pack for my stampede/jato if I'm tinkering on my bench.

I also have a pair of their extreme 9500mah 2S packs. They had them on their site for a while. I've only used them a couple times and they seem to hold their punch up better until the LVC kicks in. The others do fine up until the last minute or so. Then you can feel them getting a bit flat off the line.

Latest posts

Members online

Back