Latest bashing 03/31/2018, savage flux, arrma talion, brushless revo - modified savage 17mm hubs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

HPISF Supporter
Unfortunately, most of the footage with the savage is lost. Got a new camera and camera mount which holds the camera upside down. Stupid me forgot the screen shuts off while it records, but the blinky light was on the bottom and I didn't see, so I was shutting the camera off mid-record and it corrupted 1.5 hours of footage. The only savage bit I got was 7 minutes, which most of it was me being annoyed at breaking it.

At the 15 second mark, it broke:

Then I ordered a pair (2 total) of super HD extended axles for $45 (shipping was awful and they were retail) to fix it. Still, I bought them because I needed to fix it. While being annoyed about it, I remembered I got this thing used and it came with some retarded 30mm extensions and the previous owner drilled the short SHD axle pin hole out to get them on. They were wobbly and just plain awful. I had replaced them with a full set of the XL SHD axles instead 8 months ago (for $25 shipped for all 4 on ebay).

Well, I remembered running across a video on youtube where a guy took some associated hubs and drilled new holes in the axles to use them. Lacking a drill press and proper tools would make that difficult, but I dug those awful 30mm extensions out to see if perhaps I could hack them up to make something more stable that would fit over the extended snapped off axle.

After some masterful engineering, measuring once, cutting twice, swearing and being aggrivated that you cut to short... (don't do as I do, do as you should do), I got them installed. Far more sturdy than they were with the short axles. Now the probably only add maybe 1-2mm over what the extended axles are, if any at all. The entire large part of the axles supports them, the pin just holds them on:
2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-CutUncut.jpg

You can see the broken off axle here as that was the one I was using as my reference:
2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-OnTruckEnd.jpg

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-OnTruckTop.jpg

I just hastily used a hacksaw to basically cut right on the edge where the taper stops and curves down. Seems one of them I cut just a mm or so too short and I need to grind down an inner race of a bearing to make a shim as I don't have any 8mm shims. I also beveled the rear end of the hub a bit with my dremel to make sure it was nice and smooth and wasn't making contact with the bearing. I can't recall how I measured where to put the pin. I'm pretty sure I just held the hub up to the axle where the pin would go through under the wheel hex and figured out where to cut from there. I used some hardened steel pins that just fit the stock hex pin hole perfectly that I picked up at my hardware store and had on hand for CVD pin backups as they worked well for that on my nitro savage center cvd's. I had to cut 3-4mm off them so they didn't stick out, but the wheel hex will keep them in.

Anyway, if I can do this in an aggravated state with a bench vice, hacksaw and a drill, then anyone can do it.

Somewhere in the frenzy of cutting, grinding and swearing, I lost one of the hub nuts. They aren't standard coarse thread like every other buggy on the planet... but I found similar ones on ebay and ordered another set. Then I remembered I had some associated nylock buggy wheel nuts (#89094) somewhere that I bought that wouldn't work on my HB or OFNA buggy hubs 10+ years ago. Me being me, I didn't throw them away and found them in a drawer... they fit! So, I didn't need to spend $10 on another set of these awful hubs just to get 4 "special" nuts. I think they are 1.5 thread or 1.25 thread vs whatever normal is on buggies. It's a finer thread. I had to drill holes in the centers of the nuts to put on the other axles though as the threaded part stuck out 3-4mm and wouldn't allow me to tighten it down.

Pretty sure these are the axle extensions I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1Set-Aluminum-17mm-Red-Wheel-Hex-Hub-Extension-Adapter-30mm-For-1-8-Scale-RC-Car/263052265559?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hope they are as that's what I bought to use one of the nuts I lost. I would never recommend them for the savage unless you want to use them like I am now.

EDIT:
Add a couple photo's to show the cap nuts being drilled and with the associated nut.
2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-Wheelnut-Drilled.jpg

2018-0402-SavageFlux-Hubs-WheelnutAssociated.jpg

Last edited:
Figures... just got an email that the axles I paid too much for are not actually available. Glad I found a work around. Hopefully they will give me a refund and I can figure something else out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back