Knocking the dust off an old build....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybones

This was a build that started a number of years ago. I recently decided to get it out and have some fun with it, again. I picked up an Alza Racing center diff kit and I’m debating whether or not to install it. I’ve gone through a couple transmissions until this one, it’s got an aluminum case, hardened Flux gears and slipper eliminator. This truck didn’t start as a kit, after I built the first Savage, I knew what I wanted and started looking for parts. FLM Extended, lcg chassis, FLM bulkheads, shock towers and skids, Innovative RC Losi shock mounting kit, LST2 shocks. For some reason, I chose to fit the suspension from a HPI Hellfire, with the MIP CVD shafts, I think they were a little longer than the Savage and I didn’t want the FLM extended arms. I put a locker in the rear diff and used 50k oil in the front, the diff gears are the sintered HD ones. The steering servo is a HiTec 5995TG. It handles pretty well for being heavy, the shocks seem to be a little overwhelmed at times. I’ve played with different spring rates and oils but ultimately, I have a set of Rovan 1/5 shocks I’m going to install. You can tell it’s an older machine, it’s got a Kershaw Designs brushless conversion! The motor is a Castle 4040 2200kv and the ESC is a Leopard 150amp 6s, setup. I had an old RC Solutions Cage that was damaged, so I cut it to fit and made the battery boxes. They hold the Turnigy 5000mah, 50c 3s batteries. The truck rolls on Axial bead locks and Proline Masher 40 series tires. I use a Spektrum DX4c radio. The body is the GMC Topkick from Proline, that I painted. I just wanted to show you guys one of my builds, hope you enjoy!

C8FAD23B-ED7A-4F65-8F21-010603E8AC50.jpegAAEDA9AB-8D7D-47C9-A974-9EA222CCAA78.jpeg3A453513-29FC-4D17-A2B5-5BF7374A74BC.jpeg6F02BC46-0F64-4F1A-968A-C4A2D4429F39.jpeg0BA17EC4-450A-4EC3-95F4-728432E58191.jpegEECA1F55-7DE1-43B1-8931-663055359C56.jpeg

Last edited:
When I had my aftershock (cheap lst), I put RC Raven dual rate springs on it and increased the oil by 10wt over stock I believe. They did a lot better on it, and it wasn't light.

I won the RCI LST shock install kit for my X quite a few years ago, but never installed it on anything, I had the HPI plastic big bores and they seemed to do well. When I got my flux, I got it used and whoever had it before did an awful job trying to install LST shocks on it with FLM upper mounts. I broke one of the shocks, snapped the shaft, then threw them in a drawer and put big bores on it. At some point, I got a set of the RC raven springs and parts to rebuild the shocks (needed a shock cap too), but never messed with them beyond that.

http://rcraven.com/losi-lst-black-zinc-plated-dual-rate-shock-springs/

$10 to try if you can't find a good spring between losi chrome/black/yellow. They seemed to be a good combination of the black/yellow built into a single for me.

That’s some good advice. Thanks for that. I may try them out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back