Keeping the octane alive for the future

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertbasher

Hey guys, so I haven't been on in ages and with all this COVID stuff, I am stuck at home looking at RC's that need cleaning tuning etc... Savage Octane... I rebuilt the motor with a new ring sleeve etc... as my clip had come loose and magically took all of my compression away after about...15 tanks.

I am only on tank 4 over 2 years of breaking in (I've been busy) but once I return to breaking it in and running it, what are your plans for keeping them alive? Has anyone swapped the motor our for one of a different make? Or is everyone just going brushless? Opinions???

Thanks

Greetings DB, welcome back. I have been slowly stocking up on drivetrain, clutch, brakes, & other parts for my Octanes. General Savage parts are still available for the most part, but Octane-specific parts are what I've been focusing on, because, to answer your question, I am NOT gonna let the Octane pass into history, at least not without making a stand! I have 4 Octanes (long RC addiction story for another time...) I don't want to start another Nitro vs Electric debacle...I own both but I am much more of a Nitro hobbyist. I know many ppl do the brushless conversions because it's fun & many have done it out of frustration over the cantankerous 15cc engine. O.S. makes a very similar engine with piston/sleeve parts that will fit, but again, these are rare to find. My opinion is that the Octane is a unique truck that should be kept as it was made, but if it's your only RC, then I guess I can see converting it. There are many other XLs one can find & convert. I found a few sites that sell the rare piston sleeve sets for this engine. Scour the 'net & you can find them. You can always replace the engine with a conventional nitro .28 or .32 etc but then you lose the "Octaneness" of the truck, or you could always just sell it & buy a Flux. I'm kind a purist that tries to keep things original within reason, you will have to weigh your situation & plan ahead. Just my .025 cents. Good luck & post some pics of your truck

Thanks man.. I'll try and keep it running it as long as I can. we are quarantine really... we have nice hard desert to drive in, but all off limits now. Once this all blows over I'll try to finish the break in, but summers here are hot as heck. 115+ so not a great place for nitro and gassers...
I'll try to get a spare rebuild set., the rest, I'll have to build it.... If I get to the point that the motor is done and parts are wayy to expensive, I'll throw a monster nitro in it.. I love nitro and gassers.. I have electric too, and they are fast but Lipos are so volatile.... I also have a Savage X, Savage X with Kersaw designs dual huge brushed motors, Baja 5b SS, and a whole slew of other stuff... drugs would be cheaper. Plus I have a guitar habit...

Greetings DB, welcome back. I have been slowly stocking up on drivetrain, clutch, brakes, & other parts for my Octanes. General Savage parts are still available for the most part, but Octane-specific parts are what I've been focusing on, because, to answer your question, I am NOT gonna let the Octane pass into history, at least not without making a stand! I have 4 Octanes (long RC addiction story for another time...) I don't want to start another Nitro vs Electric debacle...I own both but I am much more of a Nitro hobbyist. I know many ppl do the brushless conversions because it's fun & many have done it out of frustration over the cantankerous 15cc engine. O.S. makes a very similar engine with piston/sleeve parts that will fit, but again, these are rare to find. My opinion is that the Octane is a unique truck that should be kept as it was made, but if it's your only RC, then I guess I can see converting it. There are many other XLs one can find & convert. I found a few sites that sell the rare piston sleeve sets for this engine. Scour the 'net & you can find them. You can always replace the engine with a conventional nitro .28 or .32 etc but then you lose the "Octaneness" of the truck, or you could always just sell it & buy a Flux. I'm kind a purist that tries to keep things original within reason, you will have to weigh your situation & plan ahead. Just my .025 cents. Good luck & post some pics of your truck

Attachments

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    455.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00473.JPG
    DSC00473.JPG
    475.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC00377.JPG
    DSC00377.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 9
Kinda off subject but what are everyone’s opinions on changing wheels n tires for a wider set I been debating on putting my stock ones back on the ol’girl A5EFC5F2-5C30-40C6-B3FF-C0E957E8C683.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Back