Keep only the first gear to tune the engine ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan.OTN

Hello everyone,

As my Savage XL runs very fast in 3rd gear, my tears become deformed and the car is unstable at full speed. I am not satisfied with my engine's performances and I would like to tune it properly. Is it a good idea to unmount the 2nd and the 3rd gear and run only with the 1st gear to tune my engine ?

Regards,

Nathan

Last edited:
Not likely. First gear is so low that it will put little load on the engine and still make it not the easiest to tune. You'd be better off just tighting the set screw for the 2nd gear shift point so it goes from first to second and stays in second. At least then you have more strain on the engine to tune against.

Hello everyone,

As my Savage XL runs very fast in 3rd gear, my tears become deformed and the car is unstable at full speed. I am not satisfied with my engine's performances and I would like to tune it properly. Is it a good idea to unmount the 2nd and the 3rd gear and run only with the 1st gear to tune my engine ?

Regards,

Nathan
If you run it on pavement it should be stable. Which will allow you to open it right up to see how it is running at full power and warmed right up .

Thank you for your replies guys !
At first, I think I will try to find a big car park on sunday... If I still have the issue, I will set the gearbox to only run on 2nd gear. I will let you know the result...

Latest posts

Members online

Back