Jumbo Kong tyres for the Savage 3.5??!??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikoss

Hi guys!

Got my 3.5, it's GREAT!!!:eyecrazy:
But I saw those huge tyres, and I want them, they should look great on it! Has anyone fitted them on a Savage?????

Hey Chunky...so do bigger tires help with flipping in midair? better gyroscopic action or something?

no....it was just something for them to try...lol..Unless you have some monster motor to make them turn faster

well, i do...once i rebuild it...the HB .46 motor...

it should be easier to a backfilp or double backfilps, more air displacement with a bigger tyre. as long as the have a good tread pattern aswell, blocks and paddles work better, pins not so good. providing u have a big enough engine to get them spinning that is.

You will break alot of dogbones, and your tranny will not be too happy either lol. Those tires are really for the shelf, they are very hard on your drivetrain.

i agree with Rebel R/C, there one of the most pointless tyres on the market (only after imex's MT sized ribbed tyres, i mean wth where they thinking!?)

There a very heavy, hard coumpoud tyre that will do nothing but add excess stress onto the trucks drivetrain. The only use i can find for them is as a floatation device for savages that tend to go swimming

as kewl as wheelies are, they aren't necessarily a "good thing" as you have no control while the front wheels are off the ground...but they ARE pretty damn kewl...

There is a gyroscopic effect from wheels and tires, and it is increased with more weight and diameter of the wheels and tires, but that's what keeps the vehicle pointed ahead, it has nothing to do with backflips. Backflips (and front flips) are generated by inertia. If you hold a running truck in the air by its body shell and hit the throttle, it'll pivot about your hand that's holding it. That's what's happening with backflips, too. You nail the throttle and the increasing rotational speed of the wheels and tires makes the rest of the truck try to turn the other way. The heavier the tires (and the lighter the rest of the truck), the more pronounced the effect. That's why stadium trucks don't have much air control under normal circumstances, but when you put Masher 2000s on them (much heavier and larger in diameter than typical race tires), you have tons of air control.

The Jumbo Kongs have the same effect, compared to "normal" tires. Check out our "Abuse" video at slapmafro.com It starts out boring by today's standards (it was shot over three years ago), but about 3/4 of the way through we put some Kongs on a Savage and beat around the track. You'll see it takes very little air to be able to do a backflip with those massive tires installed! Beyond that, however, they're really not much good for anything.

We put them on an LST this past summer for the "Farm Bash 8" videos and they look much more proportional on that truck, but they're still pretty silly. Makes for good flipping, though! We also tried them on a Hot Bodies LSP truggy for some additional stupidity.

Here's what they look like on a Savage, with a regular Savage next to it for comparison.

DSC00642m.jpg

I agree. They looked a lot better on the LST since that's a bigger truck, but they're still overkill.

There is a gyroscopic effect from wheels and tires, and it is increased with more weight and diameter of the wheels and tires, but that's what keeps the vehicle pointed ahead, it has nothing to do with backflips. Backflips (and front flips) are generated by inertia. If you hold a running truck in the air by its body shell and hit the throttle, it'll pivot about your hand that's holding it. That's what's happening with backflips, too. You nail the throttle and the increasing rotational speed of the wheels and tires makes the rest of the truck try to turn the other way. The heavier the tires (and the lighter the rest of the truck), the more pronounced the effect. That's why stadium trucks don't have much air control under normal circumstances, but when you put Masher 2000s on them (much heavier and larger in diameter than typical race tires), you have tons of air control.

that's what i meant by gyroscopic effect...the spinning inertia helping to give you the air control while flipping...guess maybe i used the wrong term...

also, is there any advantage to mounting the stock Savage tires backwards as in your photo? just curious, as i've seen in on a couple different trucks in here...

No dramatic improvement from the tire direction. It felt better at first, but I'm no longer convinced.

I would love to get my hands on one to see what kind of abuse it could take. ;)

Are you referring to the Kongs, Revo-World? If so, you're correct, and it's really hard on clutches, too.

I never had much luck running them. I would break parts left and right. Started getting expensive.

Latest posts

Members online

Back