j-b weld diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppedup Savage

can you use j-b weld to lock your differential? has anybody done it and got good results? just wondering. any and all answers will be helpful

It probably would work in my opinion if you made sure the diff was very clean when you applied the jb weld. The thing is it would make a mess and if it didnt work it might damage the diff cup. My recommendation would be to buy a diff locker. You can buy them all day long on ebay for $6 which is probably cheaper than buying a tube of jb weld anyways.

It really does work, but as stated before, you have to make sure all internal parts are very clean first, but if you run on pavement alot I would highly recommend against diff locking. On pavement it really puts the strain on other parts.

i locked a rear diff in my pirate with epoxy. it worked good and i never had a problem with that diff again.[the problem i was having was i kept shattering the 4 planatary gears inside the diff]it made the truck turn wider than before though. it also made it handle a little diffrent too. after i got used to it it worked ok but i agree it would be a lot easier to just rebuild the diff correctly.after about 2 gallons it finally broke, but the epoxy didnt let go. one of the output shafts that has the diff cup on it snapped in half. and now i had a diff that was un fixable.

Last edited by a moderator:
J-B weld is to heavy when it dries and it throws the diff off balance,as you can't get equal amounts all around the gears.And yes as said here before it really puts a strain on your drive line...espically dog bones.I bought a monster locker after i wrecked the diff with J-B weld,and i removed it shortly after..i broke a bone or bones everytime i went out...they work if you NEVER jump,and just run back and forth on a grassy area.
If you want to try a locked diff...fill the diff cup with some fine sand...that way it will lock up...but you can just dump out the sand if it's not your idea of fun.

-Joe

Latest posts

Back