Is the pinion/spur gear covered or open?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotwheel85

Hi!

I consider to buy a savage xs or xl flux.

On the xs it seems like the motor gear and spur gear is covered to avoid Stones to get in there?

On savage xl or other hpi trucks this seems to be open without cover.
Do it cause issues?

I remember it did back in time on my sintech nitro car :) but maby its different with hpi?

It's covered on the XS. I haven't had many issues in 15+ years of savage running with getting stuff stuck in the spur. Then again, I don't run in rocky areas much. Mostly grass and skate parks.

I have run my flux at a gravel bmx track a few times and didn't notice any real issues. It runs a hardened steel spur and pinion. It would chew up most small limestone pebbles.

The flux hp does have a cover on the top of the spur that spans across the tvp's. I'm not really sure why, perhaps to keep fingers and wires out of it.

Thanks for the answers :)

Is the drive shafts holding up on 3s on the savage xs? If you are hard on trottle, but never do backflips or land with trottle? :)

Hi. Drive shafts behave well on 3S. Drive cups get worn out (also on 2S). I am using hardened steel cups (silver colour type) and changed to the big size spur gear.

Hi. Drive shafts behave well on 3S. Drive cups get worn out (also on 2S). I am using hardened steel cups (silver colour type) and changed to the big size spur gear.

I see one could buy upgraded drive shaft called universal shafts, but it’s not neccesary?

Yes i saw hpi selling the upgraded crome cups, how long do you think the stock one last before it’s going to snap?

Is it any other weakness with this truck that i should upgrade before using it?

I read that one must change gearing before you use 3s, but that must only be to get 60mph? I want a solid Basher running in 50mph, i found that like a sweet spot since 60mph is just little too fast and stuff heat up pretty quick i would guess?
Would like to know how the truck is right out of the box with a 3s LiPo.

My other rc experience is with slash/stampede 4x4, would you say this truck is tougher? Traxxas cars is great but the stock plastic drive shaft, and the wheel hubs rear is so weak that it should be upgraded from day one with running more then NiMH batteries, i would like to know more about what i could expect to break so i could have upgrade parts ready to change when it happens :)

I see one could buy upgraded drive shaft called universal shafts, but it’s not neccesary?

Yes i saw hpi selling the upgraded crome cups, how long do you think the stock one last before it’s going to snap?

Is it any other weakness with this truck that i should upgrade before using it?

I read that one must change gearing before you use 3s, but that must only be to get 60mph? I want a solid Basher running in 50mph, i found that like a sweet spot since 60mph is just little too fast and stuff heat up pretty quick i would guess?
Would like to know how the truck is right out of the box with a 3s LiPo.

My other rc experience is with slash/stampede 4x4, would you say this truck is tougher? Traxxas cars is great but the stock plastic drive shaft, and the wheel hubs rear is so weak that it should be upgraded from day one with running more then NiMH batteries, i would like to know more about what i could expect to break so i could have upgrade parts ready to change when it happens :)
Hi. The truck is tough right out of the box. Dog bones will not snap easily. Only drive cups get worn out but still can be used.
On 3S and stock spur gear the current is too high for the ESC and motor to last and the car is just too fast. That setting is only right for high speed with smaller tyres. For bashing you will have to either use a lower KV motor or use the big size spur in order to reduce the current draw.
Recommended upgrades are better tyres and a more powerfull servo.
I once was fooled by youtube videos and got an 1/8 Summit for bashing. Everytime I used it I broke something.
I rarely break anything in the Savage XS. Maybe I finally learnt how to drive?

Hi. The truck is tough right out of the box. Dog bones will not snap easily. Only drive cups get worn out but still can be used.
On 3S and stock spur gear the current is too high for the ESC and motor to last and the car is just too fast. That setting is only right for high speed with smaller tyres. For bashing you will have to either use a lower KV motor or use the big size spur in order to reduce the current draw.
Recommended upgrades are better tyres and a more powerfull servo.
I once was fooled by youtube videos and got an 1/8 Summit for bashing. Everytime I used it I broke something.
I rarely break anything in the Savage XS. Maybe I finally learnt how to drive?

Hello! :)

So if i understand right the truck comes with too High gearing ment for 2s, so if one want to throw in 3s battery you must get a speed gear that basicly gear it so the truck goes slower but still let it hit 60mph on 3s, but with this gear the truck goes slower on 2s vs stock gearing?

Do you know what the speed is on 2s with stock gearing? I want around 50mph/80km and found that to be a good speed to controll it when one bash :)

Hello! :)

So if i understand right the truck comes with too High gearing ment for 2s, so if one want to throw in 3s battery you must get a speed gear that basicly gear it so the truck goes slower but still let it hit 60mph on 3s, but with this gear the truck goes slower on 2s vs stock gearing?

Do you know what the speed is on 2s with stock gearing? I want around 50mph/80km and found that to be a good speed to controll it when one bash :)

Hi, Yes the truck comes with gearing ment for 2S. If you use 3S with this gearing hpi states that you can reach 110km/h by using low profile road tyres.
For 3S and factory tyres you have to change pinion and spur gear to lower the speed and reduce esc current. Even with lower speed gear you will find it is almost impossible to pull full throttle and keep the car on the ground. On 3S you get more speed than what you can control. Go 3S if you want to have that feeling.
I guess there will be speed tests results on this forum or on youtube if you want to know the miles/hour measurements.

Latest posts

Members online

Back