Integy rear carrier questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher_Ed

My new (used) Savage Flux HP came with the Integy rear carriers installed. I noticed when running (even with new rims and tires) a considerable amount of tire wobble. I removed the carrier and noticed that there is a little play when wobbling the stem (the part that the wheel slides over and onto the hex hub). This amount of movement is, of course, a lot more with a tire mounted. I was wondering 2 things: is this amount of play normal, and if not, how in the name of Zeus's butthole to I remove and replace the bearings?

Do the bearings move around in there seats in the carrier? And replacin the bearings should be same way as replacin them in the stock hubs. Just use a #2 phillips screwdriver or a flat blade screwdriver wide enough to fit through the inner bearing hole. Then just push on the inner race ring and it should come out. The flat blade screwdriver will work the easiest and best. You may also have to work it out in a circular movement, placin the screwdriver at say, the 12 o'clock position, push on the bearing and then the 6 o'clock position, push on the bearing and then the 3 o'clock position, push on the bearing and then the 9 o'clock position, push on the bearing and so forth til it comes out. The bearing may be a bit harder to press out of the alum carrier than compared to the stock plastic carrier, so some extra force may be needed. Hope this helps.

The bearing doesn't appear to have any movement in it, but everything is bone dry. Would it be a good idea to use a general purpose grease to lube everytyhing up?

Where's the actual wobble coming from? I use the integy carriers on all my trucks with no wobble at all they fit the arms and axles perfect.. they shoulda have White plastic spacer on each side of the carrier on the bottom hinge pin ...and I wouldn't grease anything the bearings are sealed.

The wobble is where the dog bone socket (?) goes into the carrier. It's just a slight wobble, that is magnified with the wheels on.

If the play is comin from where I think it is from what your describing, then you can add a shim on the axle shaft before you install the pin that the wheel hex slides over. Try that and see what happens. You pull the wheels off, then the hexes, and then slide the pin out. Install a shim (or 2, dependin on how many is needed, which is usually only 1), then reinstall the pin, then the hexes, and then the wheels. With everything put together, minus the wheels, you'll want a slight amount of play. Hope this helps.

well if i understand were the slop is i would say your inner diamater of your bearings are to big or worn try sliding new ones over the axle and see if the play is the same if not then you need new bearings or who ever had it before you didn't put the right ones in there. cause there shouldn't be any slop if I'm thinking were your explaining the slop is that is. hope that makes sence lol.

If the play is comin from where I think it is from what your describing, then you can add a shim on the axle shaft before you install the pin that the wheel hex slides over. Try that and see what happens. You pull the wheels off, then the hexes, and then slide the pin out. Install a shim (or 2, dependin on how many is needed, which is usually only 1), then reinstall the pin, then the hexes, and then the wheels. With everything put together, minus the wheels, you'll want a slight amount of play. Hope this helps.

Did what you suggested and that did eliminate some of the slop. Each axle required between 2 and 3 shims to reduce the slop.

well if i understand were the slop is i would say your inner diamater of your bearings are to big or worn try sliding new ones over the axle and see if the play is the same if not then you need new bearings or who ever had it before you didn't put the right ones in there. cause there shouldn't be any slop if I'm thinking were your explaining the slop is that is. hope that makes sence lol.

You are right on the money. I shimmed them up to remove some of the slop, but I like things to be done right. I'm going to try 2 things, new bearings and I'm will buy a couple of new HD axles (the ones from the Savage XL). They are thicker and might do the trick. I can't stand for things not be right so I have to keep working until I get it done!!

On the rear, I replaced the axle with the HD axles from a Savage XL. With some shims that reduced the slop, but I still do get some tire wobble. Can this be caused by the Big Joes ballooning at high speeds, or do I have more work to do? Or is there supposed to be some slop (since this is a monster truck)?

my big joe,s on one of my Savages are belted inside and run beadlock rims and keeping them balanced makes a world of difference, also have integrity rear carriers and all joints and pivots well shimmed. only run big joes on the back and stock on the front.

you need a hammer and saw. Cut off some of the spokes and crack the rim with the hammer. If that doesnt do the trick you need to put them in your food blender with some milk 2 bananas, strawberry and ice. Turn it on high for 5 min then serve cold.

:p Joking aside....

You need to get some lead sticky backed weights. If you have some new bearings put them on one of the knuckles and take the knuckle out. then mount the wheel to the knuckle making sure it is spinning freely. Now you have a makeshift wheel balance. Then you can fallow this tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtdXDstLr7s I hope it helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Back