Installing new steering servo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbd

Hey guys I'm installing a new steering servo in my savage 4.6 is it best to take battery box out ?

It is not necessary but depending how nimble your fingers are, it may make it a bit easier. Remember if you take the battery box out, you also have to remove and then reinstall the throttle/brake linkage from the throttle servo.....

Ok i installed new steering servo but when i turn wheel on transmitter back towards me it should turn left but now it turns right . I know i put servo in the right direction..whats up ?

Reverse the servo on your transmitter. There should be a switch for steering with normal or reverse. Change it from whatever it’s on to the other setting.

Ok X thanks ill do that but still trying to understand why this happened. Could it be that the new steering servo wiring is reversed ?

This isn’t an uncommon thing. I’ve never looked into the reason, but I suspect it is as you said. The motor in the servo is likely wired differently.

Ok i hit the reverse switch on transmitter steering is correct now but throttle is opposite of what it use to be now when i pull trigger it applies brakes and push trigger forward to give gas.

There should be a switch for the throttle like what you changed for the steering.

There should be a switch for the throttle like what you changed for the steering.
There should be 2 switches. One for the throttle/brake and one for the steering. Different mfr's of servos wire things differently, so pretty much every radio takes that into account.

20190916_144609.jpgThx X and Olds yep i have 3 switches on transmitter 1 to reverse steering and 1 to reverse throtle/brake but what is 3rd switch for? When i hit 3rd switch doesent change anything unless its for a different frequency. Looked in manual does not mention switches.

It's the same thing, but for channel 3. Your radio is a 3 channel remote. Means it can control 3 things at the same time, steering, throttle/brake and an auxiliary, typically used for reverse. The R/N is "reverse" and "normal".

Ok , i installed new steering sevo and got swithes in correct order but now when i have truck raised off ground and turn wheels right and left wheels only come back to center when i turn right. They don't go back to center when i turn left and let go of stering wheel. I adjusted steering trim still does not come back to center.

If you disconnect the servo from the servo arm, does the servo now go back and forth appropriately? I think something might be binding. Move the steering assembly by hand and see if you can find the tight spot. Something might be overly tight, or bent.

That was my next question how tight shiuld servo arm be ?

280oz should get the job done. The screw should be generally tight. Does the horn make contact with the top of the servo? I've had that in the past where the horn neck is too tall and rubs on the servo so when you tighten the screw, it binds.

Ill check tomorrow olds but does the steering servo arm look like its in the correct position when whee20190916_181718.jpg20190916_181715.jpglls ate straight ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back