Incredible 3spd mod! MUST READ!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt2020

So with the discontinuation of the 77054 plastic first gear in the 3 spd transmission and not being able to purchase that gear anymore and the only other option is a 3D printed gear which simply doesnt have the strength, I have come up with a solution that appears to be stronger and so far I have not seen or heard of this modification before.

There is a mod for the transmission that uses the final drive gears from the 2 spd trans to beef up the final drive gears on the 3 spd that i had done to mine in the past and works great.

So I got looking at 1st gear 76914 and 86087. the gear has the same number of teeth and is slightly wider. so took the 1st gear and hub off the 3 spd shaft and put the 1st gear assembly from the 2 spd on instead and it all fits perfectly you only need to press the one way bearing in a little farther to move the plastic gear over a small amount to have a full contact with the input gear and then you can put pin back in and the final drive gear back on and it all fits and the the plastic gear is still available for purchase.

i will upload pics of what i did if people are interested in this. i hope ive made this clear enough.

Attachments

• 2spd gear hub.png
    2spd gear hub.png
    55.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2spd gear.png
    2spd gear.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 15
Fantastic post & find, pictures would also be grateful! ??
I'm going to run it today and make sure everything is all good with it, but everything seems perfect, then ill open it back up and take pictures of what i did and how i pressed the bearing over more

Hi, new on here it was the want for 1 of these gears that prompted me to join up. I too seen that link for the metal gear from shapeways but was worried to buy 1 as the plastic 1 was there for a reason so opted for the plastic 1 they make too but after reading this thread I'm thinking i have just wasted my momey as its 3d printed in nylon, is there really no other option for this?

Latest posts

Members online

Back