In the market for a new radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson

I been looking for a new radio for all my RC's and with so many options I have no idea what to get.

It don't need to be the fancy ones with a screen but it would be kind of cool lol. I don't really want to spend a bunch of money either, maybe $100 and under. Probably at least a three channel would be good enough for me, a auxiliary channel with a three position toggle would be ideal but not completely necessary.

I'm mainly just looking for what others are using and how you are liking them.

the new hpi remote and receiver works great for me. I don't race, never had any problems with it, cheap, works good, and money saved, I put into other stuff.

really cant go wrong here if your on a budget. 10 car memory, charging port for a rechargeable battery. lots of settings
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLYSKY-FS-G...809872?hash=item2373368b90:g:sTEAAOSwmLlX6mnz
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flysky-FS-G...138528?hash=item488cef4da0:g:TccAAOSwI-BWJ1-X
recievers are dirt cheap too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FlySky-FS-G...781294?hash=item41bd8987ee:g:2m4AAOSwzJ5XYN5I
you can find them both stateside for a bit more. and if you get in a bind, i have a couple extra recievers i could sell you

have had a 3b taking up space in my shed along with a half a dozen recieversthat i bought 3 years ago. I finailly got around to binding 3 recievers to the transmitter for my 3 savages yesterday. it was a pretty painless ordeal. now i have to get them into the trucks and sell off the stockers they are going to replace

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have always known flysky as a "cheap" brand, I'm not saying they are not nice but what do you think of the quality of it?

For the price of it though it would be worth a try.

I have been using a FlySky GT3B for about 3 years now and all my nitro rigs are bound to it. excellent range and never a problem......

I appreciate the replys. The price is definitely worth taking a shot at. Looks like I'll add another rc thing to my cart. Lol

I just got a Futaba 3PRKA in today. Paid 80 bucks for it. I've read good things about it and it won BigSquids transmitter shootout so we will see.

I have run spektrum for years. My current radio is the DX3C. I've never had good range with them though and for some reason, spektrum decided the DX3C didn't need a charge port. I've had the DX2.0, DX3.0, DX3R and DX3C. All of them had a charge port but the newest DX3C I bought a couple years ago. Every one of them also had a short range. I have used 4 or 5 different spektrum brand receivers as well.

Then I found knock off receivers for $8 in China that use a true coax antenna. Tripled my range. I probably would have tried another brand, but I had 4 or 5 rigs and just couldn't switch knowing I'd need to replace receivers in all my rigs. So, I lived with the 75-100 yard range for many years... like an idiot. Glad I found these receivers though. I also use it with all six of my outdoor RC's and my micro-t and micro-sct as they have an esc/receiver combo board in them that are spektrum.

Anyway, basically suggesting get something besides spektrum. :)

I have a spektrum DX2L and a DX2E for my RC's and I agree the range is terrible. I should of bought a new radio a long time ago but never did.

I think I will just go ahead and get a flysky, for the price it is worth a try. Others have also told me good things about them too.

I got my old flysky running the other day. its complicated without instructions but i managed to get the recievers in savage and XL set , for the most part. need glitchbuster as my savox servos were jumpy. Flux seemed ok.

BE AWESOME to have one radio for all!

You can go wrong with the Flysky IF you ever plan on running High Voltage servos with the recievers . they only handle upto 6.0V and from what i have studied, Flysky recievers are iffy over 6.0v. some handle it, some do not. luck of the draw.
Am now looking at Spectrum DX4C/Sr410($99) and will buy a SR210(2 channel-$30) and 2-sr310(3 channel-$44) to cover my needs. recievers have an operating voltage of 4.0v-9.6v. but if the range on these are bad I may not want them
Going to 7.4V reciever batteries is surely getting spendy!

hmmm.... thanks for the heads up. I am currently running the savox 1270tg with the fly sky receiver and glitch buster. so far so good but I'm only running the servo on 6v. ill post something if i run into problems.

theyre pretty strong on just 6v. They manage to turn the wheels on all surfaces except carpet which isn't a problem unless you're planning to run your FLUX in the living room. i ran the truck yesterday with the flysky radio and there are no problems...everything ran smoothly with a glitch buster.

i haven't run my flux yet since installing the 1270 other than getting it centered and making sure my steering is set, it has an internal 6.0v BEC, was running a high voltage servo before i put the 1270 in. i just switched that one(1267) to throttle on one of my nitro savages.
If you want to run the full voltage to that servo, you could buy the $25 castle BEC and take it to your local hobby shop and have them set the voltage to 8V as they probably have a castle-link already for shop use, if you don't already run castle products and have the castle-link already. installing an external BEC isnt that complicated on a electric setup. i myself would just run a seperate battery for the ectronics on my flux when i get the external BEC
as far as the nitro trucks..... I am going to try to run a 7.4V battery through my reciever and see what happens. i have a couple extra recievers if it fries. I will get back to you on that

my flux is run on Tekin so it would be pretty useless to buy a $20 castle-link just to use it once to set voltage on a BEC and toss it in the junk bin. I know my hobbyshop wll set it for me

Just a update, I went ahead and got the gt3c. It's basically the same as the gt3b just a little newer and has a rechargeable battery instead of the 8 AA the gt3b takes.

First let me say this radio had a very rough trip from China. The box was completely wrapped in bubble wrap and packing tape and one whole end was totally mashed in.

This is what I found under all of the bubble wrap and tape.IMG_20170318_115514129.jpg

My initial thoughts were, there is no way the radio is not damaged.

So to cut to the chase I got the radio out and looked it over and to my surprise everything was 100% undamaged.

For $55 I got the radio, charging cables, two different size grips, and three receivers. I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of everything. I have it bound to all of my RC's and it does great.

It has been wet for days now so I'm just waiting on it to dry up to really test it out.

IMG_20170318_115622740.jpg

awesome......
I try to avoid sending OR recieving anything past the borders of the North American continent for that reason. forreign package hanndlers beat the crap out of stuff

I just hooked up the flysky gt3c to my savage flux and I just don't have the explosive power it used to. It still has pretty decent power but it's just not like it used to. On concrete it don't want to wheelie or anything.

Any ideas what might be going on? I went ahead and rebound my old radio and receiver and it worked fine.

Whenever I turn my throttle trim all the way up it gives it more power but it's still not as much as it should have.

It has a momba monster 2 ESC, its kind of acting like in need to reprogram my ESC.

I just took my batteries out and one of them was like this :( they are old so I guess it just happens but can't I catch a break lol.

I guess I'll be ordering new lipos then I can try to figure out what's going on with my radio.

IMG_20170406_152139607.jpg

you better get that battery into a saltwater bath to render it inert, otherwise you risking a big fire

How well you like your flysky radio wilson? Looking to upgrade my stock flux radio. Been trying to find a radio i like.

It's been great so far, it's a fairly simple radio, just digital. It is advertised as a 3 channel, and it is but the third channel is just a off and on button so that limits you some but would work great for something like lights.

For some reason, and it seems like a very common thing after research the steering is backwards. Turn right and it goes left lol. Very easy to fix, there's a option to reverse the channels on the radio so no big deal.

Other than that I would buy it again, the receivers are only around $5 too. You can't really beat it for the price. The range is also great, I have yet to run out of range.

No I wouldn't think you would need a 4 channel for that, unless it works differently than I am thinking. You can actually buy "hacked" flysky radios that have 8 or so channels. The software is easy to mod and people add more channels to the flysky radios to make them a even bigger bang for the buck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back