I'm shredding bevel tooth gears (9t bullet proof diff bevel)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artim

i have shredded 3 sets of 9t bevel gears part # 102692. (Rear Diff) (6s as ive ran since i bought the truck back in 2013) Prior to this as stock my savage flux hp has been a beast. Since the lite modifications,: XL Extended chassis, extra lagre trenchers I'm running, all of a sudden, it startedchewing up internal differential gears, fronts rears maybe 5-6 different times, finally rebuilt them right, with 30k weight diff fluid, differential internals are holding up well, though not even a set of batteries would the truck burn, it started chewing up these bevel gears. On the fone with HPi, teling me i havr binding issues in drive train. Dog.bones are all brand new as they came with extended chassis. Though bulkheads don't go together as tightly as they used to as most of the screw holes are stripped out and don't create a tight grip when fastening all together. I'm hav ordered all new bulk heads and new bevel gear. And praying the fresh bulkheads are going to solve the issue with binding in the drivetrain causing the truck to chew up these bullet proof bevel gears. If the bulkheads don't solve the issue, i have no idea what else it could be. Installing everything via owners manual specifications other then bulkhead screws arent tightly screwing back together as they are stripped. Though the whole didf setup buttons up nicely once put back together. I think this has tricked me into going thru all these precious expensive bevel gears. Any advice/motivation would be great thanks.

Well if you think about it, the holes in the bulkhead being stripped and not holding tight enuff it is going to let the gears walk and change your pinion to ring alignment and most likely the small gear is gonna get hammered....
Are you using the sintered or the machined ring and pinion? I hear the machined are better.....

Of course those trenchers may not be helping because they are wide and heavy and have gobs of hookup, also running with 6s or so is gonna be tough on most anything as far as what I have seen.....

How are the bearings on the pinion and diff? Are you replacing those with quality bearings? Are they still fitting tight in the diff case? The side load the pinion gear bearings have to endure is really high as the torque tries it's best to push the pinion out of the ring gear teeth. Over time, the bearings wear out and heat up causing the case to warp/melt, so they don't mesh well when under load.

It's a huge issue on brushless revo's. So much so that guys are spending hundreds of dollars replacing diffs with LST2 diff cases and grinding them down to fit.

The savage runs much larger bearings, but still, under 6S power, they still put up with a lot of abuse.

Well if you think about it, the holes in the bulkhead being stripped and not holding tight enuff it is going to let the gears walk and change your pinion to ring alignment and most likely the small gear is gonna get hammered....
Are you using the sintered or the machined ring and pinion? I hear the machined are better.....

Of course those trenchers may not be helping because they are wide and heavy and have gobs of hookup, also running with 6s or so is gonna be tough on most anything as far as what I have seen.....

Gears are machined, and now on back order, i cant get them anywhere. Hopefully more get reproduced. Otherwise ill havto switch to old gearing. Which don't even know if evrything will button up together with old gearing setup.

Well, worst case, you could use the sintered ring gear. Pretty sure the pinion is the same for both. Could also dial back some of the punch on your esc as well as replacing the cases as you've already discussed and checking the bearings.

Could be a lot todo with the trenchers,
I ran a set on mine and they are a lot heavier and get a lot of bite on the surface,

i have shredded 3 sets of 9t bevel gears part # 102692. (Rear Diff) (6s as ive ran since i bought the truck back in 2013) Prior to this as stock my savage flux hp has been a beast. Since the lite modifications,: XL Extended chassis, extra lagre trenchers I'm running, all of a sudden, it startedchewing up internal differential gears, fronts rears maybe 5-6 different times, finally rebuilt them right, with 30k weight diff fluid, differential internals are holding up well, though not even a set of batteries would the truck burn, it started chewing up these bevel gears. On the fone with HPi, teling me i havr binding issues in drive train. Dog.bones are all brand new as they came with extended chassis. Though bulkheads don't go together as tightly as they used to as most of the screw holes are stripped out and don't create a tight grip when fastening all together. I'm hav ordered all new bulk heads and new bevel gear. And praying the fresh bulkheads are going to solve the issue with binding in the drivetrain causing the truck to chew up these bullet proof bevel gears. If the bulkheads don't solve the issue, i have no idea what else it could be. Installing everything via owners manual specifications other then bulkhead screws arent tightly screwing back together as they are stripped. Though the whole didf setup buttons up nicely once put back together. I think this has tricked me into going thru all these precious expensive bevel gears. Any advice/motivation would be great thanks.
How tight are you running your slipper???

i had a bad bulkhead when i destroyed a lot of my pinions and didn't realize it

also i would change your diff cup to a kyosho IF103 cup fits perfect with minimal shimming required if any at all

shim your 9t pinion gear too

bad bearings could be your issue but if you buy the kyosho cup you get to use the bigger bearing

after making these changes to mine i haven't had any issues i even run on 8s with no issues

Latest posts

Members online

Back