Ideas For HPI's Next Savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fx

The name says it all here are my ideas.

-Threaded shock or at least aluminum shock caps
-Make it easy to put a mid tank in, they should have a radio box for the rear next to the engine so you can have a mid tank and still have your radio equipment protected.
-Personally I think HPI should make a good set of brakes that everyone likes
-Include a fail safe

These are just my ideas that I can think of right now, post yours I'd love to hear em. If there is already a thread like this just close it down.

don't agree with the threaded shock, just my opinion, few ideas:

i think they should:
- make it lighter, more people are racing them now so to get it more competitive it should be much lighter

- improve the diff gears, there far too weak

- find another place to mount the central handle, when you take a bad landing it rips the screws right out of the gearbox, bad design in my eyes

- more adjustability, lack of different positioning on the stock pieces, no options for shock locations etc

finally:
- design a whole new truck! why should HPI just rehash the savage again, its time for a new design :)

Great ideas I completely forgot about the diff gears. Making it lighter is another great idea!

hpi never intended the savage to be raced. it was meant to be a basher. and there is enough of an aftermarket to 'lighten' it up.

alloy shocks have been discussed to death, they just don't work at the lengths the stockers are--if you want aluminum, go with the losi lst set-up.

as for the fuel tank, they just need to make it completly square or rectangle, like a 'buggy' style of tank and it will fit in the stock location

the radio is fine where it is as well as the servo's. it balances the truck out better. i found with the 'mid tank' the front gets light when the tank gets low.

hpi already upgraded the diffs. take a look at what the x ss comes with.

i've owned 3 savages since they came out and never pulled the screws out from landing on the roll bar. i've crushed a few roll bars, but never pulled screws. the design is just fine.
as for the adjustability, again, that goes back to the 'basher' design. it was never meant to be raced.

the stock breaks are fine if you have a good servo to pull on them.

all in all, the things you want to change on the savage is already supported by the aftermarket and hpi sells a few items as well. why change something when it works so good in the first place

as i said, 100% of what you want to 'change' is already supported by the aftermarket. why spend countless dollars retooling and re-engineering something when somebody else is already doing it? it's like all the other trucks out there. how long did it take traxxas to change the tmaxx? and in the end they changed very little, just like hpi. if it aint broke don't fix it is what they are living up to. just like every other manufacturer in this buisness.
i didn't say you could wish nor did i put anybody down so leave the attitude at the door. this is a forum, and you're going to get all sorts of replies so take it with a grain of salt.

mate this was a hypothetical thread, not like were pitching to the board at hpi!

all we were saying was if it could be done different what would we do. we know everything can be done with aftermarket stuff, thats not the point

i would say making the truck lighter is a good ideal. Not for the purpose of racing but for the sake of bashing. I feel if the truck was not so heavy it would not beak as often while bashin. When you land a big jump or land a big jump wrong the weight of the truck has been know to break parts. Even if you land every jump perfect the weight pluse impact will break things. All of this is just what i think. Take it for what you will. But i do like my savy

mate this was a hypothetical thread, not like were pitching to the board at hpi!

all we were saying was if it could be done different what would we do. we know everything can be done with aftermarket stuff, thats not the point

yeah i realize that it's hypothetical. my point is everything that is listed is already available so why not think of something original.
i got one, a center diff, that would help the racers. it's been done by 1 or 2 people but deff. not main stream.
how about a motor mount to lay the engine on it's side to lower the center of gravity? that way the head will sit where the tank is supposed to be. i have no idea what to do with the carb for this but i'm sure somebody would come up with the solution. that way the mid tank mod is worthwhile.

yeah i realize that it's hypothetical. my point is everything that is listed is already available so why not think of something original.
i got one, a center diff, that would help the racers. it's been done by 1 or 2 people but deff. not main stream.
how about a motor mount to lay the engine on it's side to lower the center of gravity? that way the head will sit where the tank is supposed to be. i have no idea what to do with the carb for this but i'm sure somebody would come up with the solution. that way the mid tank mod is worthwhile.

There is a person that has done a twin engine set up with the engines laid down on their side, the cooling heads stuck out either side of the body just in front of the rear tires. Real nice set up, lots of creativity.

Found the guys website---
http://madd-marvin.tripod.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back