I think I need a new spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageGlasgow

What do you guys think? Does it need replaced? :)

Attachments

• CDB62CCC-4F83-4BD6-A2EA-F723B09B043D.jpeg
    CDB62CCC-4F83-4BD6-A2EA-F723B09B043D.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 19
Personally, I wouldn't run a steel spur if I didn't have to. However, it seems that when I went with higher gearing than 47/15, I couldn't get the slipper to not slip. Even after roughing up the disks and replacing the pad. I'd tighten it until the spring was fully compressed and it would be fine for a bit, then after a tank or so of running in grass, it would slip and melt the center out of the spur. 49/15 was fine. Was like it just was too much leverage on the slipper with taller gearing.

I run 47/16 now with the HPI steel spur and hardened bell. The steel HPI spurs are pricey to find though. $30+. I just bought a RRP 47T to try on my flux with 6S... not sure it will fit, but was $20, so figured I'd give it a try.

I am not that much of an expert on this stuff but I am very much against steel spurs. The plastic spur simply acts as a weak link and when it is destroyed, it prevents other stuff from getting damaged.

I am not that much of an expert on this stuff but I am very much against steel spurs. The plastic spur simply acts as a weak link and when it is destroyed, it prevents other stuff from getting damaged.
I went Robinson long time ago and don't miss the weak link whatsoever.

I went Robinson long time ago and don't miss the weak link whatsoever.

Ditto. Same spur and CB for years without issue. Setup the mesh properly and don't land jumps on the throttle and it shouldn't be an issue.

Ditto. Same spur and CB for years without issue. Setup the mesh properly and don't land jumps on the throttle and it shouldn't be an issue.
Yeah, just snapped my rear bone in my X yesterday... didn't even land that hard, but was coming out of a wreck and was tapping the throttle to get it to end up on the wheels. Guessing the tires were still spinning hard.
2019-0519-SavageX-Sycamore-brokenBone.jpg

I'm too used to my outcast and flux with center diffs taking that initial touch down torque and dissipating it through the front wheels before they touch.

Aw the smell of melted spur gear in the morning , What a way to start your day...

Personally, I wouldn't run a steel spur if I didn't have to. However, it seems that when I went with higher gearing than 47/15, I couldn't get the slipper to not slip. Even after roughing up the disks and replacing the pad. I'd tighten it until the spring was fully compressed and it would be fine for a bit, then after a tank or so of running in grass, it would slip and melt the center out of the spur. 49/15 was fine. Was like it just was too much leverage on the slipper with taller gearing.

I run 47/16 now with the HPI steel spur and hardened bell. The steel HPI spurs are pricey to find though. $30+. I just bought a RRP 47T to try on my flux with 6S... not sure it will fit, but was $20, so figured I'd give it a try.
Where did you find the 47t steel spur? I have been looking for one for my savage XL and can't find them anywhere online...they just don't seem to make them or stock them anywhere?!

The original one on my X is an HPI thinner single piece steel spur I got many years ago which are harder to find now. The one I bought most recently was to put on my flux hp, but it was an RRP steel spur that required the bearing for the center and I had a few NIP old spurs in a drawer to use the slipper pad from as it didn't come with one.

You can find the RRP ones still on ebay for around $20:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...obinson+7247.TRS0&_nkw=robinson+7247&_sacat=0

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back