I need help, can't get Savage 4.6 started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdinand910

So, I have recently pulled my 4.6 Big Block Savage out for summer this year because I was determined to get it running. 3 hours in, still absolutely nothing. I have gotten new batteries for igniter, 2 fresh plugs that smoke for a split second when connected to igniter and some fresh fuel.

I have been cranking it over for about an hour now with no change in sound. It ran briefly on the ancient plug it had in it last summer but doesn't even attempt to fire it up on the fresh plug, fuel and batteries. The mixture screw is at factory setting and there is fuel in the carb. Anyone care to shed some light on this problem?

is the plug wet with fuel when you pull it out? sounds as if it needs a bit of priming to start off with....
to prime the carb crank it for a couple revolutions with your finger over the pipe outlet and then look for fuel to be in the line going to the carb, if it does then try starting it again...

The plug is dry but the thing is that I will pull the plug out, I can see fuel replenishing itself inside the bowl and when that doesn't work, I tip it side to side and burned fuel (kinda orangish, running backyard basher) comes pouring out the exaust pipe. I think its the cheap ignitor that came with it originally because the plug only smokes for a split second when you put it on the ignitor. Is it safe to leave fuel in the tank for a while or should I attempt to salvage it out of the tank

The glow plug center element should glow a bright orange when you remove it and put it on the igniter, as for the "fuel" coming out the pipe that is to be expected...as for leaving fuel in the tank for a day or so it is ok, any longer and the fuel can loose the alcohol in it making it not ideal for burning in the engine....

Not sure what you mean by fuel in the "bowl" but if it is getting to the fuel nipple on the carb then it would seem to be getting fuel.....

Judging from your insight, I suspect my Ignitor is junk since it does not ignite the plug when I have it out and hopefully I can find a better one that doesn't require me to pull back on the levers to get it to send a current... which would free up a hand during starting. One last question, can I put unburned fuel from the tank back into the bottle or do I just toss it? Thanks for your help in advance, still kinda learning this field for myself :)

Use the fuel bottle to suck the fuel out of the tank and put it back in your storage jug....

A little trick I have found is when you want to get unused fuel out of the tank just put the fuel line that goes into the carb in your fuel jug then disconnect the hose from the exhaust and blow thru it, basically you are pumping your fuel out of the tank as it already does when your savage is running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be fine with putting the fuel back in my filler bottle, but I never put fuel back into my gallon from anything. Once it's out of the gallon jug, it stays out.

Definitely sounds like your heater isn't doing it's job. When cranking it over, are you able to give it half throttle or so via the remote or by holding the linkage with your hand? I find that it's easier to start when the carb isn't at "idle" position. Once it fires up, then you can let off the throttle.

Get a rechargeable heater. The alkaline ones just don't get the job done very well. I use a small AA sized heater with 2300mah"recharge" energizers and one will easily get me through a long break-in day. You can get the heater off ebay for $5-$6 and pick up some decent rechargeable AA's with the wall charger pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:
there are any number of igniter solution's all with pros and cons. What I use most of the time is 3 sub C nicads soldered in parallel. They will almost start a lawn mower and last all day as you test the best startup procedure for your thumper.
Welcome to my ocd.

there are any number of igniter solution's all with pros and cons. What I use most of the time is 3 sub C nicads soldered in parallel. They will almost start a lawn mower and last all day as you test the best startup procedure for your thumper.
Welcome to my ocd.
I like the AA one because it fits nice in my pants pocket.
I have this one now: http://www.amazon.com/Igniter-Starter-Plugs-Nitro-Engine/dp/B00J49STSS

I have both a rechargable and AA powered ignitor and oddly enough have one glow plug that only likes the rechargable one and won't light up on AAs but does smoke a little. Def a ignitor issue and sounds like a easy fix! Hope you get it started soon and let us know!

have both a rechargable and AA powered ignitor and oddly enough have one glow plug that only likes the rechargable one and won't light up on AAs but does smoke a little. Def a ignitor issue and sounds like a easy fix! Hope you get it started soon and let us know!
Sounds like the glowplug ignitor that uses the AAs needs new batteries, if the plug glows good on the rechargerable one then should glow good on the AA battery one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back