i love it when nothing works (spur)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avandss

Hey guys ok I am really getting fed up! First let me give you the details
Savage xss (never seen nitro yet) Brand spankin new…. Ok so after I build everything I went ahead and did the throttle mod and the ofna tank mod.. working on led’s… I decided to learn about my spur gears.. anyways, after reading 1000’s of threads lol I realized mine was not properly adjusted. So I took everything apart to make sure everything is ok and it was not, my spur if I spin it, It wont spin straight its hard to tell but its as if something is crooked, but nothing is I checked everything took apart everything …its all fine! Now when I assemble everything and tighten the spring and spin it it’s a little crooked when it spins
So I told my self I cant ******* do anything else, its properly installed, I did the paper trick to get the right mesh and when I spin it it as if there is a part that get tighter on the on the spur!!!!

What to do, I'm absolutely lost (keep in mind I am good at these things usually, and very handy so its weird and really is making no sense!!! )

Help help help

Ohhh also when I was assembling my clutch for the second time I broke the little metal bushing at the end right before the last screw… after reading I notice some of you use fuel tubing, so I did the same is that ok?

it is common to warp a spur or over tighten causeing it to wobble

if it is not the spur its the shaft coming out of trans that spur mounts to.

good luck.

it took me a good 3 months to master the spur gear

I only use plastic spurs and unless I hit something they last forever now.

I have been running the one on my truck now for 2 gallons with one tooth missing. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
yea if the spur is too tight it will wobble so just back the nut off 1/2 to a full turn off. and that should get rid of the wobble. i also had trouble with spur gears. their tricky things.lol

Mine always wabbles. But I keep my nut all the way tight. So that would explaine that. It will be fine if the mesh is not too loose or too tight. Run that beast!!!!!

The wobble you are seeing is normal-it's not a bent shaft or a warped gear-it's movement in the slipper clutch. If you loosen nut 1/4 turn or so and spin spur, if it still wobbles just push and or pull on gear until it runs strait. Takes a little patience but you will see it run true. Then set mesh then tighten up slipper all the way.
Dave

My spur does the same thing. I asked the guy who owns the LHS that I goto and he said that is normal. And he is a very trust worthly guy and I wouldn't doubt anything he says. He also said that almost every other truck that runs a spur gear does the same thing.

mine wobbled for the first two or three ( i know it sounds bad) but after i got a gallon through it, it straightened out. this is on the same spur gear mind you, without changing anything.

Ohhh also when I was assembling my clutch for the second time I broke the little metal bushing at the end right before the last screw… after reading I notice some of you use fuel tubing, so I did the same is that ok?

any ideas on that

The wobble is caused by the spring. The spring doesn't compress the spur evenly so you get a bit of a wobble. The tighter you set it the more it's going to wobble. Mine wobbles a little but it still work fine.

Is the rubber pad on the back of spur gear attached properly? Is it centered?

any ideas on that
On the very end of the crankshaft?? NO! Fuel line is not ok there-you need a bushing or washers there! A pic of what you mean would help here.
Dave

I have used the fuel tubing. It worked for a while than I replaced it with the proper spacer. I didnt have any problems with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back