I have a Conundrum on my hands

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Hi

I have a couple of Conundrums on my hands, I'm on a limited budget when it comes to RC's, so it takes me a while to save up to get stuff and I really would like to get another Savage again and here is where the first Conundrum appears. On one hand I want to BIULD a new Savage my self, a kit would be preferable but the Savage kit I want is no longer available anymore, so that leaves me two maybe three options to chose from.

Option number one, buy all new parts and upgrades to make my own kit the way I want it to be so I can biuld it myself.
Option number two buy a used Savage of the version that I want and then repair and upgrade from there "this option might cost me more in the long run to do".
Option number three is buy a RTR Savage "this option is not apeeling to me and would be a absolute last resort and even then I probably wouldn't even buy it".

Next month I was planning to buy a Hitec X4 Pro AC-DC 4-Port Multicharger, and after that save up the money to get the Tekno MT410 kit, but I'm starting to have second thoughts about getting them, namely because of the LiPo batteries. I know alot of people are going to say there is nothing to worry about as long as you take care of them, but the fact is that LiPo's are high maintenance and can be very dangerous if you make a mistake taking care of them. All the stuff that I have been learning about LiPo's has gotten me a little uneasy about getting LiPo batteries at this time.

Here is where Conundrum number 2 comes in, should I continue with my plans to get the Hitec charger and Tekno MT410 kit first and then the Savage later or should I get a Savage first and then the Hitec charger and Tekno MT410 kit?

Which Savage were you wanting to get? I assume the X SS, since you want a kit? While the tekno is a great truck, it's really a completely different animal from the Savage, especially a nitro driven model like the X SS.

I would say option #2 would be your best bet, get a roller or running rig and build it up as you want, I did much the same thing a few years back, I bought a basket case and rebuilt it to suit what I wanted, just be aware that parts are difficult to source lately...

As for the techno and LiPo batteries the Techno is a Great truggy and should provide lots of fun, LiPo batteries have came a long way since the early days, I am just starting to dabble with some myself now, always use a LiPo bag and charge in a safe metal box, I am using an ammo can for mine and always ALWAYS charge and balance and NEVER leave them unattended, of course buy from a decent reputable company also, I have been buying Gens Ace 50c 5000 mah cells in the 2s version...
Good Luck in your purchase and enjoy.....

Hi

I was actually thinking of the Savage 25 kit, but the X has some things the 25 dosent have that I would like to put on the 25 like the beefier swing arms and the 17mm hexes, and after seeing how much the 25s tvp's are I would get the X's tvp's to us as a template. I plan on getting FLM diff cases and shock towers, I also plan to make my own extended LCG chassis and do a mid tank conversion. Also what engine would be better to get the .25 or the 4.6, I know the .25 is a dependable engine and is easy to tone and you can still find parts for. I know nothing about the 4.6.

Last edited:
To be honest... if you aren't married to the savage and don't already have one, go with the tekno. It can more easily handle way more abuse and parts are readily available.

Unless you really want to go with a nitro... Even then, tekno has a nitro truggy as well. If you can live with the limitations of a single speed.

That's coming from a guy that has a savage-x with an LRP30 and a savage flux hp on the truck rack. After having a true "truggy" with pan chassis electric truck, they are so stinking tough with very little upgrades/bracing needed. I have an arrma outcast and it's been my go to truck since I got it 2 months ago. There are growing pains with any truck, but I can comfortably launch this thing so much further and higher than the savage and it just takes it time after time. If I tried it with my savage's, I'd end up with blown shocks, busted shock shafts/ends, ripped off arms, etc.

If your going for a nitro basher though, 2 speed is a must and the savage is great for that (as long as you don't just "SEND IT" all the time). That's the only reason I stuck with the savage for so long becuase I ran nitro for the past 18 years. I've only been running electric anything for 1.5 years. 10+ years ago, I tried a nitro truggy and the single speed killed me. I was either geared for take off, or geared for speed. The happy medium without frying clutch shoes wasn't fast enough or slow enough for me. Had to have a 2 speed.

Electric has me pretty hooked. My first was a brushless revo. 3 months later, a stampede 4x4, then the savage flux and I converted my jato to electric. Then most recently the outcast. When I started, I had 5 nitro, 1 electric. I now have 5 electric and 3 nitro. I ran nitro twice this year and electric almost every weekend for the past 1.5 years.

Hi

I have decided to biuld the Savage first and get the MT410 and upgrade to LiPo's next year.

Latest posts

Members online

Back