I can't stop shredding the clutch bell!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, I've been having a grand ol' time driving my Savage lately, but last weekend I shredded my Clutch bell. That's probably the 4th or 5th time I've shredded one, and I don't belive that I'm doing anything wrong. What could be causing it to shred so often? Any help is appreciated.

Are you using a steel spur by chance?? I know using one will usually require a hardened bell or else they strip out pretty fast....

It is almost always the mesh between the clutch bell and the spur gear that causes one or the other to shred. Another possibility is that your driving habits are hard on the drivetrain. For instance, landing a jump when you are on the throttle. The only other thing I can think of is if your spur and clutch bell are not made of the same material, whichever is weaker will constantly shred.

A hardened bell is a must.

This was after 1 tank in my big block t-maxx:
2004-0921-TMaxx-ChewedCB02.jpg

Had it meshed so it was buttery smooth. The sparks it threw out were pretty cool and the sound it made was awful! I was using an RC Solutions drill steel 1M spur. From that point on, I only ran OFNA Hardened bells that cost twice as much.

I've been running an HPI hardened bell in my X with a 47T HPI steel spur. HPI lists them as "HD" bells.

I think I'll take a look at some hardened bells, I was just replacing it with the same thing every time tinking it was just a fluke, but I guess I probably do need a stronger one. The spur is steel I believe. I haven't been too hard on the driveline and the mesh seems fine, so I guess I'll go for a different bell.

Latest posts

Members online

Back