Hump pack battery questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor720

Hi everyone, I've been looking for more power on my steering on my savage x 4.6 so I have decided to get a hump next week. My only problem is how can i charge the hump pack? I've seen the hpi one (101936) with the bec plug and i don't know how to charge that. I do not have a LiPo charger (and I'm not willing to buy one) but i do have a stock NiMH charger. Thanks

I've used Venom hump packs myself and have been happy with them. I've also used Tenergy batteries, either hump pack can be found in the link Jam posted above and either will work just fine.

Thanks for the replys, is there any difference between receiver pack plugs that I need to worry about?

I still have the stock receiver, but my aa pack goes to the receiver switch first (that's a bec plug) I looked online at eBay amazon etc. and they had a standard plug. I don't know the difference and I'm worried about compatibility

Hi I'm new the nitro thing and I just got my first receiver pack for but the connection is the standard sever one and It won't match into the red one that connects to the switch .I was wondering if its OK just to plug it straight in to the receiver???

Hi I'm new the nitro thing and I just got my first receiver pack for but the connection is the standard sever one and It won't match into the red one that connects to the switch .I was wondering if its OK just to plug it straight in to the receiver???

yes you can do that, you can also get an adapter from most hobby shops to make it where you can use the switch with it....

How long do you guys charge a nihm 1600 camel pack ? charger says input 110vac 60hz output 6vdc 100mah.

How long do you guys charge a nihm 1600 camel pack ? charger says input 110vac 60hz output 6vdc 100mah.

If the charger only outputs 100mA, then it will take 16 hours to fully charge a 1600mAh battery.

I would suggest buying a much better charger....;)

That's a seriously weak trickle charger. Lowest I've had was 300mah output.

Any ideas where to get bigger hump pack than 1600mAh?
Everyone i have spotted seems to be for 1:5 cars, and its way too big in Savage X.

I would like to stay in NiMH batteries, just not so much care than LiPos

Biggest 2/3A pack I've seen is 1700mah, OFNA used to make them, but they aren't around anymore.

I did find these:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/6v-1700mah-NiMH-receiver-pack--32-hump-dyn1461

But I'd be more inclined to buy 2 of these instead:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-1600-6v-NiMH-offset-brick.html

Or make my own out of 2200mah NiMH LSD AA's.

OnlyBatteryPacks on ebay carries 2500 qnd 2700 mah hump packs for hpi savage on ebay. they carry chargers for them. that's what I run, especially with hungry servo s, never needed to stop and recharge, I think up to a gallon of run time per charge, depending on servo s.

OnlyBatteryPacks on ebay carries 2500 qnd 2700 mah hump packs for hpi savage on ebay. they carry chargers for them. that's what I run, especially with hungry servo s, never needed to stop and recharge, I think up to a gallon of run time per charge, depending on servo s.

Their website has changed... painfully so. Those are AA cells aren't they?

Found them on ebay like you suggested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANYO-6V-27...-HPI-SAVAGE-/370444556056?hash=item5640375718

Kind of cool how they figured out a way to wire 5AA's that will fit in there.

Wish I had thought of that 13 years ago when I murdered my receiver box to put a 5 cell AA hump pack I made in there... lol!
2004-0727-SavageFrontLeft.JPG

Last edited:
Nice hose clamp there Olds... :lmao: a reusable zip tie is what I use for jobs like that :) I got a bag of 50 of them for about 6 bux a few years ago....

Nice hose clamp there Olds... :lmao: a reusable zip tie is what I use for jobs like that :) I got a bag of 50 of them for about 6 bux a few years ago....
Tried those, they kept breaking on me. Well, that was a t-maxx and it was all that held it to the chassis. Gave up and went hoseclamp. Then when I got a savage, I just started with a hoseclamp.

Now in my X, I just run a 1600mah hump pack in a balloon wrapped in electrical tape to avoid the balloon getting wear holes in it. Not sure why I bothered all those years... I guess back then, a decent hump pack was around $25 if not more and as high as you could go was 1300mah. Now, being able to get a 1600mah pack for under $10 is just silly to even bother trying to make one.

To charge your battery you can do something like this and add a plug where you can connect your charger without removing the battery form the truck.

Attachments

• 20170823_044903.jpg
    20170823_044903.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20170823_044919.jpg
    20170823_044919.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 6
To charge your battery you can do something like this and add a plug where you can connect your charger without removing the battery form the truck.
Did something similar on my X, but I used a hunk of an old RPM skid plate to make a little rectangle over the battery meter hole and mounted mine there. Better than a pigtail bouncing around all the time.

2012-1223-SavageChargeJack.jpg

Did something similar on my X, but I used a hunk of an old RPM skid plate to make a little rectangle over the battery meter hole and mounted mine there. Better than a pigtail bouncing around all the time.

2012-1223-SavageChargeJack.jpg

I'm curious, Olds, did you not like the stock location for the charge connector? On the X style box it is on the other side of where you mounted yours.

upload_2017-8-24_7-26-52.png

I got mine used, so I didn't know what that hole was even for. When I got it, there were just open holes in the box cover. I plugged the small hole with another piece of the skidplate, then covered the battery meter hole with a piece. A while later, I installed the switch holder.

Latest posts

Members online

Back