hpi's already upgrading the octane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks and sounds like a standard weedeater muffler to me...personally I am not too excited by the octane so far in all the vids I have watched...
I still much prefer a nitro engine to the one in this machine, it just sounds labored while running.....

$T2eC16J,%21y8E9s2figHYBRfVhpfiow%7E%7E60_35.JPG

so does this look eerily familiar to anyone.... I have to think the tuned pipe setup is better in many ways to a stock can type muffler, just needs a better mounting system by the look of things

I was doing some reading on the RC Tech forum and it seems I am one of many who's exhaust has broken off at the flange. The aluminum header pipe is thin where it brakes. I think an all steel pipe with some reinforcement would be great. If an aftermarket pipe like that comes out I would be a buyer. This new exhaust has to take power away from the motor. It would be like taking the expansion chamber off your dirt bike and putting an enduro exhaust on it.

I'm surprised this was their solution...
I have been thinking about doing this myself while waiting for a professional solution.

The run with the new muffler sounds so labored...
It didn't seem right at all - or was that just the sound confusing my senses?

You can't beat the smell and feeling of gasoline and it's exhaust, so I still prefer this over nitro.
But if you're in it for the speed (which I am not) - the octane can't measure up to the alternatives imo.

An all steel pipe would perhaps damage the engine when playing rough - wouldn't it be better with a soft, flexible fitting so the pipe would stay attached, but still give way for external forces?

Yeah it would need to not be mounted solid, Losi's gasser has a metal header held on with a spring that circles the cylinder. Something similar would be good.

I didn't notice until my brother pointed it out; have a look a the steering servo on their own truck.
It's going back and forth all the time.
I have never noticed this on any other car, and neither has my brother (he's had more cars than me over the years) - but neither of us has had an octane before.

what do ya mean servo goes back and forth, do ya mean it twitches and jumps around, there are reports of others experiencing this servo twitch you are possibly referring to also, I think it may be related somehow to the ignition box causing some of this to happen..... does it do it with the engine not running or just when it is running as others have had happen.....

I'm talking about the twitching yes.
I have it, and know others have it, but it was unexpected to see it in a promotional video from hpi.

But does it do it without the engine running or is it still doing it......

As far as I can remember my servo is fine until the truck is running.
It started acting up real bad last time (driving off by itself, not reacting to any input etc), so I went back to the reseller with it.
They're looking over it now.
As you, I also suspect the ignition box - perhaps they should have been placed separate.

This is a perfect example why I tend to stay away from most new products as far as RC is concerned, it strikes me funny (not a good funny) as to why any company would release something after 2 years of development with so many troubles concerning it.... First the header problems and continual radio problems....
Makes me want to wait quite a bit longer before I would consider taking the plunge at the cost of 900 bux to have these kind of troubles....

Possibly shielding the receiver somehow may help the twitching but I am not sure how to advise one to accomplish this...

I agree.
I would not buy the savage as it is now.
And with the total lack of support chances are this will be my last hpi anything
(unless the replies are in a filter somewhere, and I'm making a fool of myself).

One would believe two years would be enough time too get rid of these problems, so I bought it thinking it was tried and tested. You shouldn't have to wait this long to get a problem free product - this is a very poor way of doing business.
And when you're thinking of the cost, and not answering support mails.. it simply shouldn't be this way.

Anyhow..
I believe there is some room at the back of the truck, so if all else fails I might try to mount a box for the ignition back there to separate it. I believe there is plenty of wire to move it around on the truck.

I did a test with the receiver from my brothers car close to my ignition box with the truck running - but there was no interference to see. So perhaps by adding distance we can get around it.

Last edited:
Yep, frustrating is a major understatement ! $900 + tax + the this n that"s you might get and you would expect this "toy truck" to perform flawlessly. I could have bought a beater 4x4 truck for that kind of cash and had fun tearing it up. Went out today and got fresh high test gas to mix with my 2 cycle oil, also got a couple NGK CM6 plugs from auto parts store and fully charged all my batteries. When UPS gets here today this thing better run like it is advertised or I am going to start complaining to Hobbico to take some action. Been running my Savage X 4.6 quite a bit today and it performs great. Spur gear has been the only problem the truck has ever given me. So I installed the racing clutch bell and metal spur gear. Other than that just keep the tank topped off and you can run run run that truck.

Best way to isolate is to stick it in a metal box. Then depending on how it is routed you may need ferrites on the lines as well. Also the shorter the wiring the better.

Thank you for the information.
I was thinking of using a plastic battery box with aluminum foil inside, but I guess if I have to go this route - I need to read up on a few things.
Let us hope it's only faulty radio equipment.

Sorry for late reply - my host changed data center, and didn't do a good job of it.

I'm using the TF-20E radio.
I have heard back from the store, and they have tested it with a new servo with no problems.
So perhaps the old steering servo interfered with the receiver somehow.
Of course it proves hard to get a replacement so I guess I'll upgrade as planned at the same time.

Can't wait to do some positive posts instead :)

Latest posts

Members online

Back