HPI Suspension Conversion install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88gtanotchback

SAVAHOLIC
Hey guys i started into this tonight. i tore the truck down and cleaned it all up and put new bearings in the RSC as i went. Everything seems to be going well until i checked the steering throw. It seems to have a little to much and it appears that ill lose the dog bone with it. Just Curious if anyone else has encountered this problem? When its at full throw its ok but if i turn the diff at one spot it will actually pop out. I know i can use my EPA on the radio so its not a big deal at all but was curious about it since i hear many modify it to gain even more steering. For me it wouldn't be of any benefit from what i see unless i took a hair off on the opposite side but i don't think i could take much, before id pop dog bones going the other way as well. heres some pics of the install thus far and a few of my problem, although they don't really show it that well.
3347130358_large.jpg

Install pic
3347130361_large.jpg

where the problem is.
3347130363_large.jpg

this is full throw but with the cup in the right place it stays in still
3347130364_large.jpg

If you look closely you can see its a little further throw, caused by when i rotated the diff a little, and popped the dog bone out.
3347130365_large.jpg

just another general install of the front end. Kit is very nice and I'm pumped i finally got it. I decided to install on the nitro savage as the flux in just to insane to bother try making it handle. lol. So should i just set the EPA and not bother grinding, or am i missing something as to why everyone mods there RSC out of the box? Thanks in advance guys, and any suggestions let me know.

I really don't know so this is just a guess. Maybe the RSC has that much throw but once it is hooked up to your servo, the servo won't allow it to go that far under normal circumstances (unless your running a really long servo horn or something).

does it travel the same when you have the steering rods connected to the drag link?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you give it a little more toe in you will keep the bones from popping out. Also make sure that you have the o rings in the outdrive cups on the diff and that you don't have any in the axles. Also you want to test to see if the bone will pop out by testing its max turning when it hits the stop on the steering arm as it turns more when pulled that way than when it is pushed out the way you show in your pic.

I have this same problem. When it is all hooked up, you will still pop bones turning to the right because there is not a hard stop for the servo arm. When turning left, the drag link will physically prevent the servo arm from going further to the left so you shouldnt pop bones. The EPA is only an electronic stop, and will not physically stop the servo arm from travelling to far to the right from the force on the wheels when turning. I do not have a solution to this just yet, but someone told me the XL/flux bones will prevent the bones from popping out. good luck!

Like I said above, the drag link will stop it on turning left, there is no phsical stop when turning right so the bones may still pop out. BTW, I put in an extra oring in the diff cups and so far it has held for a couple tanks with some light bashing. I will be taking it apart to see if the bones are bent or if they are ok.

I have mine modded and I have not problem with bones popping out with it. I have xl bones and the edge of the dog bone pin comes right to the edge of the inside tapper of the axle. I have done some major bashing and even some racing no issues. It has taken some major spills as well.

I do have a bit more toe than I would perfer around 2 degrees but that holds them in so I will deal with that.

Edit I just noticed that you have the old version of the RSC no modding needed on those.

alright ill get it all installed in the truck and go from there. I'm not gonna grind anything down until i know it will benefit me tho. it appears that i wont have to. thanks for the advice guys! appreciate it

That is the first version. It does not need to be ground for travel.

Grinding is for the latest version only.

it (latest) does not have the two holes for the turnbuckle it only has one.

That one you have will turn till the dog bones fall out (literally) ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy I'm behind :duh:
I didn't there were people altering the RSC. Anyone have pics or a link?

So is it better to have the old version or the newer version?

Looking good as always Scott! Thanks for the pics

well oddly enough after i got it all together i did need to grind a little. everything seemed to work out well and i have it set up now so that the bones arent popping out and the runing is lock to lock (+ some from the bit i removed) fairly happy with it. I'm just puttering at it after work these last two nights, while cleaning the truck along the way so if i get an hour or two i should have it done tomorrow! I'm excited to have it all set up. You never did any grinding on yours bank?

well oddly enough after i got it all together i did need to grind a little. everything seemed to work out well and i have it set up now so that the bones arent popping out and the runing is lock to lock (+ some from the bit i removed) fairly happy with it. I'm just puttering at it after work these last two nights, while cleaning the truck along the way so if i get an hour or two i should have it done tomorrow! I'm excited to have it all set up. You never did any grinding on yours bank?

No The first version has plenty of throw if set up right IDK how you did it though. With SHD bones its fine with REG or HD they will fall out in full lock.

Tell ya the truth i don't know how i have it set up either bank. lol. i know its got great throw both ways right now but needed a little bit of modding. I'm using the SHD bones, and it seems slick right now. no driving testing but just on the bench it seems peachy!

i got one off ebay for 85 bucks new, and the other off a different message forum. got lucky. deals are out there. My atomic would be your best bet, there great there!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back