Hpi savage x two wheel drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuelviani1

Hi guys new to the forums i have hpi savage x few mods biggest one is the lrp .32 love the engine crazy power i was wondering if anybody had turned there into a two wheel drive just for the heck of it and info or ideas? Is it worth it?

Attachments

• D0BC75A2-A946-490A-BC4E-4A5955B8644C.jpeg
    D0BC75A2-A946-490A-BC4E-4A5955B8644C.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 3
The Savage is designed to be a 4wd it does not do well in 2wd. if you want to experiment do so but take it from someone with 30 plus years in the hobby it will not be happy in 2wd at all...

I had my old 21 savage as 2wd for a bit snapped a front center dogbone. I drove it for a bit to finish off the tank of fuel. Now granted, there was extra drag from the drive in the front because the diff was still intact, but man, with 2wd on the rear only, it constantly wanted to swap the rear with the front. Couldn't hardly drive it on dirt. May have been better on grass. I was only running an OS21RG at the time, which is super weak compared to any LRP engine.

I had on old t-maxx and I got tired of blowing diffs all the time, so I filled a diff with jb-weld, put it in the rear and removed the entire diff, axles out of the front. It was a blast to drive around. Awful for picking up speed on anything but grass and pavement. Was like driving a very top heavy rustler. lol! I was also running a low power engine in it, an Orion 18.

Gotcha yeah basically i guess its not worth to even try haha

Gotcha yeah basically i guess its not worth to even try haha

Most who have had it happen, due to failure, will agree it is not a great way to run the Savage. But, feel free to give it a shot if you like. Just remove the dogbone from in between the transmission and the front diff.

We'll all silently make bets on how quickly you change back. :D

Most who have had it happen, due to failure, will agree it is not a great way to run the Savage. But, feel free to give it a shot if you like. Just remove the dogbone from in between the transmission and the front diff.

You will get the best experience by removing the front dogbones as well. Then you don't have the drag of the diff on the front tires.

After swapping one of my t-maxx's to 2wd, I left it that way for a couple years until I sold it. Once I figured out how to drive it, it was fun. I ended up running lighter street tires on the front, pro-line road rage 3.2's and various offroad tires on the rear. I went so far as to remove the entire diff to get rid of the weight as well. Finally got alot of wheelies out of a t-maxx. Didn't have as much air control and had to plan ahead for stopping, but it was fun anyway.

Just gonna take bets to see what happens

Latest posts

Members online

Back